To Nitrox or not to Nitrox: that is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Got any data to back this claim up? Its totally the opposite of what published research showed.

The idea is this. If a profile rides the NDL's on air, then its further from the NDL's on a nitrox blend. It's also generally accepted that riding the NDL's is more risky for DCS than staying further within the tables. Here, Air is riding the NDL curve, Nitrox is staying well within it, hence, lower risk of DCS.

in_cavediver:
It's also generally accepted ...

It is generally accepted because it makes perfect sense BUT what is generally accepted in this case is in contradiction to DANS's published research on the matter. Using nitrox has not yet proven to STATISTICALLY decrease DCS hits. I get what you are saying and have never disagreed. That said, I think selling nitrox as a safety tool to divers that don't completely understand it's real benefits (extended bottom time being the big one) is common at LDS's. Saying that doesn't mean I think Nitrox is negative, bad, or shouldn't be used as I do indeed use it when beneficial. I do think that calling it "geezer gas" and telling divers that it will make them a better/safer diver or less tired is wrong and FREQUENTLY DONE. The phrase, "Nitrox will decrease your chances of DCS" is, according to current research, incorrect. I wouldn't however be surprised if the data did eventually show a small decrease in DCS hits with nitrox use but I doubt the decrease will ever be significant. Better diving habits have been shown to decrease DCS risk and that is what classes should stress.

I run the risk of seeming like a know it all here and I'm really not a know it all. I am in no way a decompression genius. The research info can be found on DAN's web page.

in_cavediver:
The idea is this. If a profile rides the NDL's on air, then its further from the NDL's on a nitrox blend. It's also generally accepted that riding the NDL's is more risky for DCS than staying further within the tables. Here, Air is riding the NDL curve, Nitrox is staying well within it, hence, lower risk of DCS.
That's true. There may be some confusion here now...

(1) Riding your NDLs on Air vs "the same dives" - (depth and time length) on Nitrox = Nitrox would lower your Dcs risk.

(2) Riding your NDLs on Air vs Riding your NDLs on Nitrox = about the same risk.

I've done both: Give me an 80cf tank for a wreck dive and Nitrox keeps me in the Green. Give me a 130cf Nitrox tank and a buddy who'll stay down with me, and I've been known to ride the NDLs. :blush:

DAN's stand, the best I can remember, is that DCS among Recreational divers is so rare, that Nitrox makes an insignificant difference in the numbers.

Given the oportunity I can't see why not dive TROX

DandyDon:
That's true. There may be some confusion here now...

(1) Riding your NDLs on Air vs "the same dives" - (depth and time length) on Nitrox = Nitrox would lower your Dcs risk.

DAN's stand, the best I can remember, is that DCS among Recreational divers is so rare, that Nitrox makes an insignificant difference in the numbers.

Even when used on Air tables the data is still shown to be insignificant. Again, diving habits did play a more significant role.

pir8:
Given the oportunity I can't see why not dive TROX
In the end, I agree. Hey, if they say a glass of wine a day may reduce risk of a heart attack then I say go for it. :D

I have been searching the DAN site, and I am having trouble finding these studies that people keep mentioning. Could we get a clear reference please?

Last week I spent 1.5 very pleasant dives in Maui.

The second 0.5 would have been far more pleasant if I could have been down where the action is instead of hanging above it to stay out of deco.

Of course, if I had been on Nitrox, I would not have had a problem.

boulderjohn:
I have been searching the DAN site, and I am having trouble finding these studies that people keep mentioning. Could we get a clear reference please?

Last week I spent 1.5 very pleasant dives in Maui.

The second 0.5 would have been far more pleasant if I could have been down where the action is instead of hanging above it to stay out of deco.

Of course, if I had been on Nitrox, I would not have had a problem.
Why weren't you on The Voodoo Gas...?

Carribeandiver:
Often it is said that Nitrox will decrease fatigue. Nitrox has been credited with several advantages over plain ole air but for the life of me, I just cant seem to think of any.
I have never been fatigued from a dive and thank goodness, I have not had any DCS symptoms from diving.
And although, I do not like to dive deep, the fact that Nitrox limits your depth is a consideration.
With all that in mind, and all the other stuff I am sure you knowledgeable people will point out, what is the advantage of Nitrox?

Dude,

Take the class and filter the noise on here. Get the knowledge, then dive it or not. I'll dive it if it is available, but typically on boat dives. Fatigue? Less, but I still get the munchies. :D

Shark out. :coffee:

DandyDon:
Why weren't you on The Voodoo Gas...?

Wasn't available under the circumstances, or I would have certainly been there.

Back
Top Bottom