To Rent Or Buy, That is The Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my case I will rent 8 to 10 tanks for a dive weekend so it would be very expensive to own 10 tanks. Especially since I will have 4 to 6 big dive weekends like that and the rest of the time I am on a dive boat where I dont need my own tanks.

For me its cheaper to rent a lot of tanks rather than own therm. Besides I usually only have to pay for the air fill and bring them back before the next class at the shop.

If you don't abuse a tank, it has a good resale value. That may make the cost of ownership lower than you would expect. A correctly maintained tank, 10 years old, may sell on Ebay for 75% of a new one. A wet suit or BC 10 years old has little resale value.

Buy was the option FOR ME. Renting gear in NYC is COSTLY and a big pain! Drive from Queens to Manhattan is about 34 miles or less but add traffic and it takes one hour each way. Try getting street parking so you can go into the LDS located in Times Square. Then, you schlep those tanks to your car (assuming you even own one) probably parked 5 blocks away. Meanwhile, 4 cops stop you to make sure you aren't a terrorist. Very personal decision. Generally buying is worth it IMHO.

I really love my HP100 and my Wife loves her HP80's. Hard to beat those tanks!

someone earlier asked about a lp 120 having 200% the air of a al 80. this could be true. an lp 120 is rated to having 120 cf of air at 2600 psi but I regularly have my lp 120's filled to 3200 to 3400 psi in that I would have close to double the air of an al 80. now high pressure tanks are rated to having their stated air but it is only when filled to 3500 psi and honestly if your not running a din connection I would not want to be using hp tanks. I run yoke fittings now and I really prefer my tanks have a 3200 fill. I can sometimes dive my 120's 2 times if we are not diving past 80 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom