To U-Boat buffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted earlier with this question - does anyone know what happened to the bow of the U-853? The last few feet are completely gone. I could not see the missing portion in the sand and it appears to be clean. Perhaps someone cut it off?

Thanks

--Matt

PS Wild conditions this past Saturday. Some swells were 8 feet high, fast current, and 5' max vis.

A friend referred me to this resource.

http://www.u-bootarchiv.de/typen/typ_ix_allg.html

In the end of the third paragraph:

"In dieser Verlängerung konnten zusätzlich noch zwei Reservetorpedos verstaut werden."

I do not know German, but it's loosely translated: "In the extension two extra torpedoes could be held."

They are talking about aft-side extension of the conning tower.

I dove it on Sunday week and a half ago, and while we came down both times on the mooring attached to the bow, I didn’t pay attention to the very end of it, so can’t help you there.

And the conditions were near to perfect, particularly on the first dive. Calm, sunny, warm, and no current.
During second dive it got darker, a little choppy, and there was a noticeable current at the bottom.

Diversauras once bubbled...
Hank Keats has a book that will explain all this but I am at work and my copy is home.

What book is this? I can't seem to find it on Amazon.

Based off your picture and the advanced egineering of the germans. They are most likely to be either alternate stowage for the torpedos to ensure a greater load on target or quite possibly a missle launch system similar to what was utilized by the U.S. at the end of WWII.

It does appear to be rather a large opening for a exhaust or intake for a diesel generator. Typically the intake and exhaust of such a system would be in the range of 12" radius, and this appears to be slighlty larger than that.

What ever it works out to be it will be interesting to find out.

Proud to be a Submariner

jiveturkey once bubbled...

What book is this? I can't seem to find it on Amazon.

I forgot to look at home and I cannot find it on the web either. The book I am thinking of is full of drawings and pictures and I got it from Hank when he was at Olympus 8 or 10 years ago with Brian Skerry.

I am still pretty sure that the tubes are either intakes or exhausts and not related to torps or other weapons but I really think the Keatts book will show it in schematic or cut-away. I'll try to remember and check it tonight.

How deep is the 853...and where is it? I know that there is one in a river in the northeast somewhere and one offshore. Most of the type VII's didn't have snorkels, later in the war however many were fitted to reduce the time they spent on the surface.

Thanks,
Adam

iflyprops once bubbled...
How deep is the 853...and where is it? I know that there is one in a river in the northeast somewhere and one offshore. Most of the type VII's didn't have snorkels, later in the war however many were fitted to reduce the time they spent on the surface.

Thanks,
Adam

Here Adam: try this link

Back
Top Bottom