To U-Boat buffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are couple shops in RI & CT that run scheduled trips to U-853.

Max depth that I reached was 124' (to the sand on starboard side). Deck is at about 110'. With Nitrox you can enjoy the wreck for 10-15 mins without going into deco, which is not bad.

During my dives conditions were very favorable, particularly on the first one. 25'-30' viz, temps in mid 50s, very light to zero current. I am told, usually it’s much rougher.

There are many useful resources on the net about diving this wreck, and even more about its history.

I did see those and the virtual tour. But they do not clearly show the air vents.
Are the vents under the deck?

Well, its a good thing that I live in chicago LOL
I just talked to one of the people at the exhibit
and he told me that those are only covers for the exhaust pipes
Under the covers are heavyduty waterpipes for the exhaust, and yes they do run all the way to the diesel engines :)

for more info about the u-505 call Museum of Science and Industry at (773) 684-1414, they are more than happy to help once you get through the auto answering system

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom