Tobermory - Diving Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33ps1x:
It's also a very expensive way to gain the little experience that you get.

Yeah that's what I pretty much thought. I have to admit I went into my AOW course with a bad attitude, sorta thinking all I could expect out of it was a card. I surprised myself by actually learning a few odd things...... (not necessarily intended lessons)

d33ps1x:
Starfish,

My comments were not aimed at the guy who died of the ulcer at depth.

They were in response to remarks made along the lines that the Arabia is a breeze to dive but thank you for your kind assumptions as to my motives and the level of "cruelty" which I possess.

Not one of my statements were aimed at the gentleman who recently died nor am I the person who originally brought this discussion off topic although posting an accident is generally for the purpose of discussion and analysis no matter how amateurish and cruel you may regard it.

If you feel uncomfortable involving yourself in the said discussion please feel free to remove yourself.

Thanks.

hey dude wasn't aimed at you just a general thought incase someone was thinking about making such a post. I'm aware of the general disposition of the board and wouldn't think anyone would. It was just a comment....we are allowed those aren't we? Just checking....

Scuba_Steve:
Is this the lead-in for the upcoming DIRf course I'm in the middle of setting up D33p?

Uhuh, yes I am, the Niagara Region's first. Lets hope we can find 6 divers out of hundreds that think like you and I do, bud.

Steve

I don't think you will have any trouble filling the roster.

Now that we're talking about it............hehehe

The way I see it........albiet only in the last 4 days since it "officially" came out.

Top 3 reasons why folks don't want to take the course:

1.) Course is too much money

2.) Have to re-buy gear to the tune of hundreds of dollars

3.) Afraid of "failing" (Especially those that are considered "higher up" in the ranks)

All reasonable answers, for the individuals involved. (Well, maybe not the 3rd one. Being afraid/embarrased to "fail" is just silly) It smacks of too much personal pride, and is reason enough alone to do the course.

The way I figure it, I'm not going to get to be a better diver, quicker, by trying to do it on my own.

I require instruction and a good beating!

They are without a doubt the best teaching tools.

This isn't the first or the last "beating" I've taken this year (In terms of excellent courses).
I almost can't wait.

Steve

FreeFloat:
I don't think that's what he was suggesting at all. I think he was trying to say that divers ought to be self-policing as far as fitness to dive. Unfortunately, the dive industry as a whole is, IMHO, to blame, for presenting diving as a cheap safe thrill for the masses.

I hate to break it to you all but Diving is as a cheap safe thrill for the masses

You all act like it's a trip to the moon with a Mar's landing on the side............... Get over yourselves......... My son started diving when he was 8 years old. At 12 he was leading groups through the Wolfe cabins and engine room. All with out lines, doubles, hang tanks or pony bottles.

The plain truth is people die every day, it will happen to all of us.
People die driving cars.......... should we stop people from driving because they couldn't handle it.
People die riding bikes........... Ban all unfit people from biking
Get the picture folks.............

It's sad when people die, but don't get on your high horse and think your better trained because you had a better course, it just means the person selling you the course suckered you into thinking you were getting the "BEST" course.
After being in the dive industry for a number of years I have known people that have died doing what they loved and some of them had more skill under water than most of you will ever have.

Some day I may even die under water, anyone that has dove with me or know's me can say Big Jim's skill underwater suck, he's fat and out of shape.................... But I still dive and I love it and you can't stop me. It's still a cheap safe thrill for the masses. Except it's not cheap................

divedude:
It's sad when people die, but don't get on your high horse and think your better trained because you had a better course, it just means the person selling you the course suckered you into thinking you were getting the "BEST" course.
After being in the dive industry for a number of years I have known people that have died doing what they loved and some of them had more skill under water than most of you will ever have.

Some day I may even die under water, anyone that has dove with me or know's me can say Big Jim's skill underwater suck, he's fat and out of shape.................... But I still dive and I love it and you can't stop me. It's still a cheap safe thrill for the masses. Except it's not cheap................

Well that's pretty much how I feel about it....and tried to say...but you hit the nail right on. Thanks Jim.

But isn't it OK for some of us to aspire to the finesse and perfection that others don't feel the need to achieve?

Sure, almost any dope can drop to 130 on the Munson (hehehehe, I'm sure you get it), flail around, and come up, and actually have a good time. (been there, done that).

No probs there personally, but is it OK if others try to perform better?

Absolutely nothing personal Big Jim, and maybe your son was more mature than some at 8 years, but I won't let my one child, who is 11 1/2 dive for a few more years yet. It's a personal matter for the parents, and our feeling is, even 12 isn't old enough to be making grown-up, rational descisions, if required.

What keeps most people safe is the (almost) infalibility of the gear, and a load of good fortune, sprinkled with short enough bottom times, to cover up their horrendous diving practices.

Yes I've seen your son dive, and yes he's pretty darn agile and quite at home in the water. I could tell that immediately.

Good luck with the boat, but I have to say, I hope to be one of your customers next year, again.

Steve (Freeflow Divers Niagara).

divedude:
I hate to break it to you all but Diving is as a cheap safe thrill for the masses

You all act like it's a trip to the moon with a Mar's landing on the side............... Get over yourselves......... My son started diving when he was 8 years old. At 12 he was leading groups through the Wolfe cabins and engine room. All with out lines, doubles, hang tanks or pony bottles.

The plain truth is people die every day, it will happen to all of us.
People die driving cars.......... should we stop people from driving because they couldn't handle it.
People die riding bikes........... Ban all unfit people from biking
Get the picture folks.............

BigJim, I think you underestimate yourself. I've never dove with you, but you are one heck of a captain....

Warren_L:
BigJim, I think you underestimate yourself. I've never dove with you, but you are one heck of a captain....
He's not too shabby a diver either - he visited us at about 55' in that wingless tank setup of his..........

Right on Warren

Since this is a divers death discussion, I wonder who the idiot instructor or charter operators are who have been letting single tank divers on air bounce dive the Jodrey, now there a death wish waiting to happen. The poorly Trained and Skilled recreational divers are becoming poorly skilled instructors, cave and technical divers.

Mr A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom