Too Cold???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvr4lyf

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sorry to ask such a silly question,
Last year I was diving at Lake Rawlings, Va. and the temp at depth was 47 F. I was wearing a 7mm Farmer john and was FFFFFFFFreezing. Everyone else seemed to handle it well. At our deco stop I could'nt stop shaking ( 70 F). When I got out I noticed I could'nt move my Jaw!? I dont think our instructors asked what the bottom temp was prior to entering or maybe they just felt like not wasting a three hour trip.
We were supposed to do skills on the bottom but got silted out by a few inexperienced students. My question is: Is my suit too old that it cant handle the temp?- it was a previous rental. Should I consider a new suit? Cant afford a Dry suit yet. Thanks - Joe

dvr4lyf:
Last year I was diving at Lake Rawlings, Va. and the temp at depth was 47 F. I was wearing a 7mm Farmer john and was FFFFFFFFreezing. Everyone else seemed to handle it well. At our deco stop I could'nt stop shaking ( 70 F). When I got out I noticed I could'nt move my Jaw!? I dont think our instructors asked what the bottom temp was prior to entering or maybe they just felt like not wasting a three hour trip.
We were supposed to do skills on the bottom but got silted out by a few inexperienced students. My question is: Is my suit too old that it cant handle the temp?- it was a previous rental. Should I consider a new suit? Cant afford a Dry suit yet. Thanks - Joe

Perhaps the suit you have doesnt fit properly??? Ive dove a 7mm in some pretty cold temps and dont remember trembling. Save your pennies and buy a dry suit if at all possible, you will not regret it if you plan to dive cold water on a regular basis. Many to choose from in various price ranges from $750.00-$2500.00. Good Luck!!!

Joe,
That's a difficult one to answer, buddy!

The main reason it's difficult to answer is that every single individual's thermal protection needs are different.

It just may be that you are extremely sensitive to the cold water and require a significant amount of thermal protection.

Many people make the unfortunate mistake of trying to relate their air temperature thermal requirements to those of diving. It just doesn't work.

You may have touched on one of the many possibilities. Neoprene, after an extended period of use, does tend to collapse and lose some of its thermal retention properties. There really is no way of determining that loss other than through repetitive use of the same garment.

About the only other option is try it again but using a different wet suit.

For most people (not a categoric statement or based upon empirical data) 47 degrees F is right at the very bottom temp for a 7mil FJ/J.

Considering purchasing your own suit is a very good idea. If nothing else, you will learn its limitations in both directions of water temperature.

the K

The Kraken:
Joe,
That's a difficult one to answer, buddy!

For most people (not a categoric statement or based upon empirical data) 47 degrees F is right at the very bottom temp for a 7mil FJ/J.

Considering purchasing your own suit is a very good idea. If nothing else, you will learn its limitations in both directions of water temperature.

the K

Yeech! 47? I can just about do (*maybe*) 55 in a 7MM (but then I always knew i was a wimp). That includes an extra 2mm around the upper body too (but a thin hood)

I'd definitely say drysuit time for me in those temps!

If you're cold, your suit isn't doing a good enough job.

Try a drysuit, drygloves and some heavy drysuit underwear. You'll never go back to wet.

Terry

dvr4lyf:

47 can get quite cold in a wetsuit. I guess, as Kraken mentioned, it depends on your resistance to cold, but two other factors come into consideration:
- How deep you dive - the deeper, the more the neoprene compresses and the less it insulates
-How long you dive

I've been down to about 110' on wetsuit in 42 degree water at more than a few occasions. It does get a tad uncomfortable, and makes the dive less enjoyable. Believe me, my next scuba purchase (when I finish my degree - that I left my job to do) will be a drysuit...

Warm diving to you!

Alex

I get very cold in water cooler than 60 if I'm wearing a wetsuit. I went diving two weeks ago in Havre de Grace, MD, and the water temp was 47. I was wearing my drysuit and was fine, but there's no way I would have even considered the dive in a wetsuit. The thought of the water temp is bad enough without the thought of being exposed to the air upon my exit from the water.

I am constantly baffled as to why instructors insist on taking students (especially BOW) into really cold water. No wonder a large percentage of people never dive again after they are certified.

No way that I could dive a wetsuit in 47 degree water. It would be more merciful to simply shoot me.

Back when I dove wet I used to wish I was capable of peeing in that darn thing just to warm up. I never could, maybe my mother beat me too many times for peeing in bed or something, but I just couldn't do it.

There are those of us who really need a dry suit.

and required exposure protection not only varies from person to person, but changes with the individual as well.

I've done numerous dives in 48F with a 6mm two-piece and been quite comfortable. Other times I was nearly hypothermic.

Being excessively cold is not only a comfort issue, but it can be a safety issue as well as it affects how efficiently you offgas.

If cost is a major problem, look for a used drysuit. I picked up a very lightly used TLS350 on ebay for $650.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom