Too Cold???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best deal - $500 for a brand new O'Neill Neo drysuit and about $150 for thermals. 47 is cold in a wetsuit. Once you go dry, you will never go back.

The first time I dove dry I wished I had not wasted $450 on a wetsuit.

--Matt

Nostromo:
Am I the only person that thinks diving wet in the 40s is beyond uncomfortable and actually in the range of dangerous?

e.a.e.

For a cold tolerant diver with a good well fit wetsuit the 40's are not the end of the world especially if the depth is modest, say less that 40 feet and it's a single cylinder dive. That said I have buddies with apparently good. propper gear who felt they were at their limit before breaking 50F. It's an individual thing.

If it's for one dive or there's a long propper surface interval. Changing out afterwards is likely to more traumatic.

I've never been down in the 30s and since I have gone dry this fall I may never unless my suit floods. I know many who have done first ice dives wet and they all lived to tell. They agreed, changing out was the worst, even with shelter.

Pete

matt_unique:
The first time I dove dry I wished I had not wasted $450 on a wetsuit.

--Matt

But Matt,
A few month's or so each year if the wind gods are good -on our side of Lakemichigan the waters can warm in the mid to low 70's so some close to shore wrecks can be done wet.
and I love to dive wet on a hot day!
Some dive buds like Pastor Mike dive wet all YEAR!!
My Florida trips I dive wet,Its a Blast to pull thru the thermoclines.
could be the Zen thing but it puts me in the world,makes me as one with the dive!

YES I am a whimp now! as my bones get old and do not do well with the cold=20+ years on old bulldozers and other construction equipment with no heaters,snowplowing & fixing breakdowns.
A dry suit dose extend the range of dives, the dive season,and make dives last long and comfortable,I will still dive wet and keep the several wet suits I use on my different dives.
Brad

dvr4lyf:
Sorry to ask such a silly question,
Last year I was diving at Lake Rawlings, Va. and the temp at depth was 47 F. I was wearing a 7mm Farmer john and was FFFFFFFFreezing. Everyone else seemed to handle it well. At our deco stop I could'nt stop shaking ( 70 F). When I got out I noticed I could'nt move my Jaw!? I dont think our instructors asked what the bottom temp was prior to entering or maybe they just felt like not wasting a three hour trip.
We were supposed to do skills on the bottom but got silted out by a few inexperienced students. My question is: Is my suit too old that it cant handle the temp?- it was a previous rental. Should I consider a new suit? Cant afford a Dry suit yet. Thanks - Joe

I haven't read the other responses so forgive me if I'm repeating.

I've been a cold water diver all my life and I can say for sure that 47F/8C is friggen cold. In water that cold I can't (and won't) dive wet.

Even if your wetsuit fits right the cold will go right through it and you'll be lucky to get a 40 minute dive in without showing the first signs of lowered body temperature.

I dive in cold water a lot, (local water temps range from zero to 18C) and in that temperature range I'm always in a drysuit. I used to dive wet i the summer here but I don't even do that any more. These days I'm not wet unless the water is well above 20C or my drysuit is in for service. 12C is the minimum temperature that I believe is do-able in a wetsuit.

Some people will probably call me a wimp for this but I have a lot of experience in cold water an once you eliminate all the macho B.S. these temperature ranges work.

Cold sucks and cold is optional. Get a drysuit.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom