too many hobbies (is there a minimum 'must have' gear purchase?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1+ on the BCD. Depending on type and body size, renting can be hit or miss. I dive a back inflate and would never go back to jacket style which is what you would expect for rental. It is also a personal fit item, and once you find one that fits well it's more comfortable and to me makes the diving experience more enjoyable. Finding rental BCD that fits well can be hit or miss depending on size and brand since cuts and sizes vary by design and maker.

Most people here on SB would disagree, as previous posters have indicated regs are life support and those would be your most important item. That depends on how well you take care of your own gear. If you clean and rinse your reg properly after each use, store in appropriate place until next use, and service at recommended intervals I can't argue. However, if you dive infrequently, a personal regulator that hasn't been serviced properly may be more dangerous than a well maintained rental reg from a reputable dive operation.

Hadn't really thought of a dive computer, but having your own personal computer makes a lot of sense. Wrist models especially watch type are small. Watch type could then double as topside watch during vacation as well. I bought a dive computer next after my BC when I had a computer problems with a rental computer. I didn't turn it on prior to dive and it wouldn't reset in the water. The dive shop I usually rent from normally keeps their computers on water activation. I know it was my fault, but I found an inexpensive used one online after that. I now dive with that as my primary computer and the one that comes with the rentals as a backup.

Another time I rented gear from a different shop. I actually had the guy go through how to activate the computer and set to water activation for me. Then during the dive the computer was reading meters instead of feet. I would have found this really annoying but since I was diving with my own didn't really matter and I had my own that dive. Also, buttons will vary and it is always nice to dive with something that you are already familiar with, instead of trying to figure out what button does what. You're supposed to be looking at the fish during the dive, not figure out your computer.

Welcom back to scuba.

a good set of regs as they are your life line,, something about renting regs just bothers me. and like a few have said add it as you can afford it it all depends on how much diving you plan on doing and by the look of things you change hobbies frequently, do dont over invest if you dont plan to stick with it.

stoppped by a dive shop on the way home just to talk to staff and was reccomended a 40lb halcyon bp system, to be able to use at home and abroad. (I'm 6'3" and 190lb) and would be mianly used vacation diving in warm waters but would double for local cold water dives.

I really enjoy the research part of the hunt, and am doing my best to take my time and really evaluate if I'll be diving enough to go out and invest in gear. I'm still active in all my hobbies I listed, though its getting hard to find time for them all.

I'm trying to pair down to essential hobbies, but its hard as there is always something that catches my eye.

When I get into a sport I tend to be very active for the first 2-3 years. I still enjoy hobbies that were major parts of my life previously, they sometimes just move to a more casual enjoyment to have time for the latest adventure.

stoppped by a dive shop on the way home just to talk to staff and was reccomended a 40lb halcyon bp system, to be able to use at home and abroad.
Rockin' dive shop! I would guess they will set you up with the good stuff :)

Now back to those hobbies...you missed flying as that is always expensive. The sky is the limit on money spent. $40,000-$1,000,000+
Wakeboarding Easy to spend $100,000
Hang gliding (think powered) Cheaper at around $16,000
Mountain bike riding $5,000 for a reasonably nice bike

Of course it is not hard to drop $20,000 on scuba gear

Gotta love fun hobbies!

I think the shop is doing you a disservice with that recommendation.

After all, if you buy good gear to begin with, you'll be cheated of the whole experience of getting to buy your stuff over again! :)

I was going to add that a Mask, Fin and Snorkel are top priority. Apart from that A wetsuit 3mm is not bad to have. In addition a Regulator, Octopus set and BCD. This is a min for your diving criteria. Have fun diving!!!!

Yeah I've had the mask/snorkel/fins combo for awhile, they accompany me on all vacations where there might be a dive available. It's the other gear I've started looking into to add so I don't have to rely on rental and have more fun with gear that's made for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom