Purchasing First Reg: Closest Shop is 3 Hours Away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. Thanks for taking a question from a newbie diver. This is the absolute best forum for getting meaningful respectful answers that I have ever been associated with. That includes my other hobbies of photography, MTB, backpacking and chainsaw restorations.

I have decided to purchase all my gear because a lot of my diving will be 30 minutes north of me and the nearest dive shop is three hours away. I already have the basics (including a computer), but I'm now looking at regulator, BC and exposure suits. I've pretty much decided on DGX D6 BP/W for a BC and I'm leaning toward Mako Spearguns for a wetsuit. But I'm open to thoughts about these before purchasing.

I'd like to purchase regulator/octo at a dive shop to take advantage of their expertise in servicing the reg. But with my living in a remote area, I think I need to learn to do my own service. So I need a reg that would be less complicated to service and would have good parts availability. I would be diving in cold water and with some silt/sediment, so a sealed unit would be preferable. Your would be appreciated. Thanks again!

What brands does the nearest dive shop to you sell?
One shop sells Scubapro, Zeagle and Oceanic. Another is an Atomic dealer. Not sure about the other shops.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I live in a very rural area also. I buy my regs online and send them off for service with good results. Just saying you have options. Enjoy your diving. 😊
I agree with the post, in that sending your gear off for repair is another decent option, even though the shop that the OP mentioned is within, wow, three hours. That also opens you up to any number of great brands that your not-so local dive shop may not carry.

Regardless, regulator servicing can be spotty at best; and there are a number of members on SB who would be happy to recommend a technician who damn-well knows what he or she is doing . . .

Hello. Thanks for taking a question from a newbie diver. This is the absolute best forum for getting meaningful respectful answers that I have ever been associated with. That includes my other hobbies of photography, MTB, backpacking and chainsaw restorations.

I have decided to purchase all my gear because a lot of my diving will be 30 minutes north of me and the nearest dive shop is three hours away. I already have the basics (including a computer), but I'm now looking at regulator, BC and exposure suits. I've pretty much decided on DGX D6 BP/W for a BC and I'm leaning toward Mako Spearguns for a wetsuit. But I'm open to thoughts about these before purchasing.

I'd like to purchase regulator/octo at a dive shop to take advantage of their expertise in servicing the reg. But with my living in a remote area, I think I need to learn to do my own service. So I need a reg that would be less complicated to service and would have good parts availability. I would be diving in cold water and with some silt/sediment, so a sealed unit would be preferable. Your would be appreciated. Thanks again!

You can get Diverite and DGX service kits from DGX. And if you’re looking at the DGX BPW you may want to look at this package.

If the shop is that far away, I would just buy a regulator and assume I will have to ship it off for service. If you really want to do DIY regulator work, then why not save a ton of money and buy an older used reg that you will service yourself. If I were going that route, I would look hard at a Scuba PRo MK-2 first stage, a G-250 second stage. Nice people on this forum can probably set you up with good gear and you will save many hundreds of dollars.

Deep6 for the regs would be my recommendation.

IMO, there's not much point in building a relationship with a shop that far away.

Instead, I'd buy either from Deep6gear.com or one of the shops with a national footprint through their web store that have a solid mail in service department like scuba.com (formerly leisurepro.com), scubatoys.com or diverightinscuba.com. If you have a local independent that sells Edge HOG regs, that would work too.

Parts availability for self servicing can be tricky in the US. All of the major manufacturers restrict parts sales to consumers. I have had to buy Mares parts from Italy (BTW, I've had good luck with these guys MARES REGULATORS ). You can find original or aftermarket service kits for a few of the classic regs some of which are still being sold new, for example from Regulator Service Kits .

The major exceptions are Deep6 and Edge HOG. Both offer service kits and self service courses, although you might need to travel for them. Hog parts can be purchased by anyone. Last I heard (you should confirm with them before purchasing) Deep6 wants to see that you are trained to service diaphragm regs before they will send you a kit, either through one of their courses or something similar such as the HOG course or @rsingler 's comprehensive online course.

You have time either way. Pretty much all new regs have 2 year service intervals.

Back
Top Bottom