Too much to pick from

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are so many computers on the market(uwatec, aeris, oceanic, sunto,…). I know what I want( I think) but I am not sure what brand/model is the best for what I am looking for.
I want,
air integrated
hoesless,
nitrox capable,
user changeable batteries
Not a super conservative algorithm
Maybe a compass
Not a lot of cash (so maybe an ebay item)
Am I out of luck with all that? What have you guys been using that you like? I am concerned in that I hear some models suffer signal loss and I am thinking the compass feature may be a luxury I can’t afford. Of course, someone told me that uwatec has a compass that plugs into the top of the wrist console so maybe that’s a possibility…so what should I avoid, what should I look for?

Thanks

I'd just sit back for awhile... With the new Mares computer out and releasing AI for 2010 I'd hold off. Between that and the Zurich, I think computers are going to move more that direction(color screen and upgradable) prices will drop. Color screens are going to be the new standard in my view, at least much more prevalent. I bet next year there will be a big difference on computer prices, as more people pick up color screens the older model computer prices will drop as demand lacks for them. So you might be able to score a sol or luna cheap or pick up a used color screen from someone.

I think we are right a the start of a major shift in computer tech. Once these new computers come out and the demand for them will cause other manufactures to jump on the band wagon to remain competative. I think if you buy something now, in a year it will be really far behind the curve. Now they may not be any more valid then the current/ old computers but they will have more features people will want. Like color screens, easy interface and the ability to download programs you need ie nitrox, tri-mix, rebreather and so on. Just look at gps, the nuvis are way better as far as ease of use and features compared to the old hand helds with the non color displays. I feel we are right on the edge of this in the diving community.

There are so many computers on the market(uwatec, aeris, oceanic, sunto,…). I know what I want( I think) but I am not sure what brand/model is the best for what I am looking for.
I want,
air integrated
hoesless,
nitrox capable,
user changeable batteries
Not a super conservative algorithm
Maybe a compass
Not a lot of cash (so maybe an ebay item)
Am I out of luck with all that? What have you guys been using that you like? I am concerned in that I hear some models suffer signal loss and I am thinking the compass feature may be a luxury I can’t afford. Of course, someone told me that uwatec has a compass that plugs into the top of the wrist console so maybe that’s a possibility…so what should I avoid, what should I look for? Thanks

The compass factor is going to cost you a lot of money and unless you are going to be a dive pro you would be better off getting a separate compass on your console.

The rest of your post describes an Aeris Epic (as a slightly less expensive alternative to the Oceanic Atom 2.0).

To all intents and purposes they are the same PDC because Oceanic and Aeris are effectively the same corporation. I have of one of each.

Oceanic/Aeris have excellent customer service.

HTH.

Oceanic or Aeris . . .

the K

Cheap shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as air integrated AND hoseless.

Perhaps you could find a used one on eBay or Craigslist?

This is a commonly asked question. As asked it's hard to give an answer. Leave off AI and compass and it's easy to answer...any cheap computer will do all this.

As asked it's more like saying I don't want to spend much money but I need a car and it's got to be either a Porsche or a Mercedes.

Maybe I should clarify cheap. No more then 500-700

Maybe I should clarify cheap. No more then 500-700

There's a used Aeris Epic on Scubatoys now for $659 or a new one for $999 although I don't think it has a compass.

Aeris XR2 which is wrist but not AI ...$429 ...or $229 used.

I'm not sure who has a built in compass other than Liquivision x1 ($1800). or Oceanic OC1 for $1,399. However you can get a wrist compass for $50.

I want,
air integrated ... hoesless, ... nitrox capable, ... user changeable batteries ... Not a super conservative algorithm ... Maybe a compass ... Not a lot of cash (so maybe an ebay item)
I agree that the 'compass' piece adds to price, and is usually worthless (IOW, if you want a compass for serious navigation, use a real one). A used Suunto Vytec might fit the bill - several have recently sold on eBay for ~$250, and one usually comes up every couple of weeks, now that the Helo2 is out. Some argue that the Suunto algorithm is too conservative, which I don't understand (are we simply looking for something that 'tells us what we want to hear'), and there were depth sensor problems with one batch although I have never had a problem with mine. Just a thought.

I'm not sure who has a built in compass other than Liquivision x1 ($1800). or Oceanic OC1 for $1,399. However you can get a wrist compass for $50.

Suunto D9 is both air integrated and has the compass...the Suunto D6 has the compass but is not air integrated, so I would still go for the Aeris Epic and buy a $50 compass separately which will do a better job than the one on the PDC/watch.

One other thing: you don't have to buy the computer and the transmissor at the same time. So maybe it's a good idea to buy the Epic or the Atom 2.0, use it for a while WITHOUT air integration and then buy a transmitter later on. Both PDCs will let you monitor both your own gas and two other transmitters, so to get full use of all the features, you will want your buddies to be using the same system.

Back
Top Bottom