Top 10 MPA's in California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw that. Wish they'd get the official common name of Stereolepis gigas correct (at Italian Gardens)... it's giant sea bass, not giant black sea bass or black sea bass). And the large congregation of courting individuals there seems to have dispersed a bit, possibly due to extensive diver pressure. Same thing seems to have happened to the ones that were in Lover's Cove.

The article mentions Naples Reef, Long Beach. Maybe it should be Naples Reef, Santa Barbara/Gaviota ?? Anyone ??

The only reason to list Italian Gardens is the probability of seeing giant sea bass there, and that only occurs from about May to early October (depending on water temps, etc.). Otherwise I think it is a pretty mediocre dive site. I remember going out on a mainland dive boat supposedly headed for San Clemente Island but ending up at Italian Gardens. I asked why we were diving there and the DM said "You may see giant sea bass." I replied "It's February. The chances of seeing one are slim to none." My buddies thought it was one of the worst dives they'd one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom