Top 5 movies for scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. JAWS...Richard Dreyfuss went on scuba to check out the wreckage...so did I

2. The DEEP...I was the stunt double (liar,liar..pants on fire)

3. Thunderball...someday gonna marry Bond, James Bond.

4. Men of Honor...was so moved! Always will be in awe of the sacrifices made by our Navy Divers.

5. Finding Nemo...yes, it's real.

Last edited:
1. The Abyss

2. Men of Honour

3. Into the Blue

4. The Deep

5. Fools Gold and any James Bond movie

Life Aquatic
Into The Deep
Thunderball
Into The Blue
The Abyss

Honorable mentions toThe Cove (if it counts... ) and 20k Leagues.

Looking forward to Oceans or whatever the title is... and Shadow Divers.

Last edited:
1.jaws, have the poster over my desk

2.men of honor, wrote an essay about carl brashear for the SAT's

3. life aquatic, just a funny movie

The Life Aquatic (mostly for the excelente Seu Jorge and if you did like the music - get the 'Studio Sessions' they are even better!)

And on the 'popcorn' site there is a 1916 version of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Stuart Paton that I would love to see, anyone seen that?

As for that 'well covered' photo of the young lady diver earlier in this thread... I am kinda new to vintage dive gear, how did she manage buoyancy control? Are there some devices I'm not seeing?

Yeah, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is a good one.

As for that 'well covered' photo of the young lady diver earlier in this thread... I am kinda new to vintage dive gear, how did she manage buoyancy control? Are there some devices I'm not seeing?

It's tough to answer a serious question about that photo, but I know that your question is serious, so I'll try. :)

In the photo, she's not wearing a wetsuit or drysuit, so there's no need to "compensate" for the compression of a suit. The only change in bouyancy that she'd experience during a dive is the difference in bouyancy between a full tank and an empty tank... About 5 pounds, assuming that she's diving an old 72 cuft tank.

...And 5 pounds is very easy to compensate for using your lungs.

In short, the "norm" for divers of that era was to weight themselves correctly from the outset and do any slight compensation with their lungs... So no BCD was actually necessary.

Actually, when BCDs did come onto the scene a few years later, they were often seen as a crutch that created poor form. In many circles, that's totally correct - there's a lot that can be learned from diving without a BCD. :)

Interestingly, today's top-of-the-line backplates and wings differ very little from the AT Pak that she's wearing - if you were to build the AT Pak out of metal (instead of plastic like she's wearing) and sandwich a bladder between the pack and the tank... You'd have a modern backplate and wing.

Fascinating how things come back around, isn't it?

In the photo, she's not wearing a wetsuit or drysuit, so there's no need to "compensate" for the compression of a suit. The only change in bouyancy that she'd experience during a dive is the difference in bouyancy between a full tank and an empty tank... About 5 pounds, assuming that she's diving an old 72 cuft tank.

...And 5 pounds is very easy to compensate for using your lungs.
Especially if you have a great set of lungs. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom