Top dive spots -- worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll let you know about East Africa in a couple of weeks Wetpup -

Last edited:
lol, I chartered a chopper in Nepal to get me back to Kathmandu when all the flights got cancelled. Also cost $500. That's only like dinner for 2 in Subi :wink:

Reunion is beautiful. I got a cheap sale fare on Air Mauritius when I was in Perth, and did both Reunion and Mauritius, visiting friends mostly, but I did go diving. Dives were a bit hit and miss on both (overfishing issues), but topside makes up for it.

But to the topic at hand...If you're working on the assumption that this will be your only trip ever to this part of the world, I would unquestionably be budgeting for at least a week in Milne Bay.

I find Indonesia has the best value for the quality of diving. You can compare the costs to Cozumel but the quality doesn't compare. Cozumel has loads of companies vying for your business hence the price can be relatively low, the same goes for Indonesia, generally the more competition the lower the price. Then of course you might say there are loads of liveaboards in Raja why so expensive? That's where the quality aspect comes to play, you can dive from Kri quite reasonably but billt4sf as you might agree the diving in Missouri is phenomenal, but is pricey since you have to dive it from a top end resort or a liveaboard. You can find some closely comparable diving In other spots in Indo soaand yes it's a difficult choice, but do you really want to deprive your wife of her chance to dive Missol? Presently I'm diving in Komodo and there are is a site, 3sisters in the southern area that really reminded me of Misool, minus the huge schools of pelagics.

I agree with making a list and then figuring out the costs. There are often inexpensive options in some places. I have dived with Two Fish in Lembongan, Bunaken and Lembeh and they are about as cheap as they come with fantastic guides. I've done a fair amount of diving in Indonesia and sometimes whether an area is great or not just depends on lots of things: the time of the year, the weather at the time you're there, and just luck. I would add Sipadan and Layang Layang while you're in that part of the world.

Caribbean diving can't hold a candle to Indo-Pacific.

I agree with making a list and then figuring out the costs. .......Caribbean diving can't hold a candle to Indo-Pacific.

Thanks all, for your comments. We are going to make a list with costs of the expensive options and I'll put out another thread with that list once I get it done.

Then we can have lotsa fun comparing those expensive and wonderful dive sites!

Thanks again,

Bill

I think you can hit most of the spots and do it rather economically. lamrapaulski gave you the best advice. All boats will offer to fill a spot cheaply at almost the last minute. Getting a flight to the embarkation point won't be a problem. Most office in Bali. You could get an even better deal if they had open spots on successive trips, e.g. Ambon to Maumere, Maumere to Komodo or something like that. A trip to Lembeh is worth it, but I wouldn't bother with any other locations in North Sulawesi.

This looks familiar. Once you get settled in to Bali and logs some dives talk to your new friends in the dive business and see what deals you can cut. There are constantly last minute offer for Liveaboards at discounts. They often depart Bali so you, of all the people in the world, will be perfectly located and able to act on it.

Boy oh boy I would *love* to hear of last-minute discounts, I was thinking the same thing but in the research and conversations I have had so far, I have got ten zero interest so I had begun to discount this possibility.

If you (any of you) have any suggestions how to proceed along these lines i sure would love to hear about it!

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

Yes, please do let us know if ghe ladt minute sale thing ever works out. I've not been able to score any great deals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom