Tormentos Reef Dive - lost my Gopro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabie.azz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Had an amazing dive at Tormentos reef on 25th Feb 2020 but sadly dropped and lost my gopro towards the end of the dive. We were greeted with a huge spotted eagle ray right after which helped cheer me up a little. A bit a long shot but thought I would take a chance here by posting here in case it is found. It’s a gopro hero 8 with a dive housing and red filter attached. It is attached to a telesin black floating hand grip with an orange piece on both ends and a light blue wrist band. I unfortunately do not have any contact details attached to the camera to help identify apart from recent photos of the dives and Chichen Itza the previous day.

You probably mean Spotted Eagle Ray & if your description is right and it does float it's likely long gone from Cozumel's waters & on it's way out to the open area north of the island. Everyone needs to make a point of adding contact info. I photographed my invoice from the dive shop and the key card from my hotel plus the actual room number before my diving 4 weeks ago. The first 6 photos on the memory card have the contact info & it cost nothing to put it there.

I unfortunately do not have any contact details attached to the camera to help identify apart from recent photos of the dives and Chichen Itza the previous day.
I hate to see this so often. Put your info on an email draft on a computer or phone, then photograph it. Especially with Gopros as they are lost so often. My iphone locks automatically, but anyone can still get to my Medical ID with my name, face photo, allergies, and emergency contacts.

Insurance is also good. Got trip insurance? Homeowners that might cover it? This stand alone policy is great: Personal Articles Policy - State Farm®

I hate to see this so often. Put your info on an email draft on a computer or phone, then photograph it. Especially with Gopros as they are lost so often. My iphone locks automatically, but anyone can still get to my Medical ID with my name, face photo, allergies, and emergency contacts.
Insurance is also good. Got trip insurance? Homeowners that might cover it? This stand alone policy is great: Personal Articles Policy - State Farm®

Alternatively, I tell everyone I see with one just to voice record their name/address and phone number/email as the first thing they do when they turn it on before a dive. I’ve found 5 and only managed to get 2 back to their rightful owners.

my camera lanyard is hooked on a 2 foot strap attached to a BCD Dring. Place hand through lanyard and I can still extend arm out fully. If I take hand out of lanyard camera just floats up but still attached. Found that a strap is better than retractable lanyard because I don't have to fight the spring .

Keep your camera or video camera attached to you, please. I have found 3 Go Pros in Boynton Beach, FL. 2 returned to owner.

In addition to taking a photo of my name & info on ever SD card and protecting it from erasure, I write my name on many things.

upload_2020-2-28_19-3-12.png

Back
Top Bottom