torpedo ray shocks dive buddy 10/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would a diver start playing with a torpedo ray, especially at 150 ft? That sounds like a good way to create a potentially serious problem. Glad it worked out well, but I hope others don't let their testosterone levels innterfere with good judgment during encounters with these creatures. Besides, not nice to "play" with animals... "don't fool with Mother Nature."

It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature !!! :05:

the K

drbill:
Why would a diver start playing with a torpedo ray, especially at 150 ft? That sounds like a good way to create a potentially serious problem. Glad it worked out well, but I hope others don't let their testosterone levels innterfere with good judgment during encounters with these creatures. Besides, not nice to "play" with animals... "don't fool with Mother Nature."

bill this is not a case of trying to get shocked, he didnt know that torpedo rays can zap you if provoked. he was petting its belly when it went for his head. i dont think he would of touched it if he knew it had the potential to shock him. i told him after he was lucky it didnt render him unconcious because that would of really sucked.

Ann Marie:
If you get to see an electric ray, harass it and you'll find out too. :wink:

Thanks for sharing about the experience. I've seen several of these rays and I've wondered how hard the jolt would be. I'm glad your buddy is okay.

P.S. Don't let him bug the morays...I've heard their bites hurt!:D
Anger one of those berserker Navanaxes and I've heard they can rip your mask off and suck your eyes right out of your head. "They're coming right for us!!"

Yup.. "look, don't touch", I always say!:wink:

California Diver:
... he starts playing with the ray and it repetedly zapped himn on the head, ....
Hmmm, did not know what it was huh? In the ocean particularly there are many things that can hurt or even kill you. :lightingz My motto, look but don't touch, :no particularly if you don't know what it is or what it is capable of. I will wager that is now his policy too. At that depth a good jolt could have had disastrous consequences. He was lucky

Thanks for sharing.

Yep, all the more reason not to touch it... or anything else unless it is obvious they want to be touched. And there are some species that solicit it. I was firmnly of the opinion that I would not touch a gray whale when I spent a month going to their Magdalena Bay winter calving grounds. However one of the whales was so obviously soliciting human touch that I gave in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom