Tour operator advice for Liveaboard Cairns/Great Barrier Reef Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want as cheap as possible then you mustn't come away complaining that the GBR is rubbish. The very short trips recommended above go to the Outer Barrier Reef which will only satisfy beginners and not someone with experience. You say you are an Advanced diver but without knowing your experience it cannot be said if the Outer Barrier Reef is for you. The only way to REALLY have a quality GBR liveaboard experience is to spend the cash and get on one of the boats that does the Coral Sea (not the Outer Barrier Reef). That's where the world-class diving is. So go cheap by all means but don't have expectations that the Barrier Reef (the bit that you visit) is gonna be Great.

The OP's profile says that they have 0-24 dives, and their post says AOW. So they appear to be an inexperienced AOW diver. That's fine, and the shorter lob's that visit the outer reefs are actually likely to be appropriate in those circumstances :)

Reading here about the GBR has me a little concerned. My wife and I will be visiting Port Douglas in March 2017. By this time frame I will be certified to dive. My wife only snorkels. As you can see me experience level will be quite low. Could recommend a good operator that would allow us to see the best part of the reef..

@ EYGarth Huett:

Port Douglas generally has day trips and not overnight operators so I assume you are looking for this option.

There are some great trips that offer services for all levels of divers. Poseidon are probably one of the better day trips, but there is a newer operator up there which caters for smaller groups called ABC dive that would be worth checking out. They are a bit more expensive but the dives are guided and only 12 people.

There are the larger operators like Quicksilver that run the pontoon (they also own Poseidon and Silver sonic - another dedicated dive boat) that may be worth looking at if your wife would like to do other activities other than snorkel e.g. glass bottom boats, underwater observatory, semi sub etc and the certified diving is good and guided.

Back
Top Bottom