Tour Towing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Brant

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a towing option for a second diver that is optimized for touring and viewing. This would be for a dive that consists almost entirely of the DPV ride -- no parking and getting off to explore. I know several of the streamlined tow options but those really don't give the second rider a very good view. Is there a rigging approach I can use that would give the second diver a better view? I'm thinking maybe a second tow line with a handle and an extended clip for a crotch strap. So the second diver would end up further behind the first diver than with a regular tow. I know this will cost some battery but that is OK.

I'm looking for a towing option for a second diver that is optimized for touring and viewing. This would be for a dive that consists almost entirely of the DPV ride -- no parking and getting off to explore. I know several of the streamlined tow options but those really don't give the second rider a very good view. Is there a rigging approach I can use that would give the second diver a better view? I'm thinking maybe a second tow line with a handle and an extended clip for a crotch strap. So the second diver would end up further behind the first diver than with a regular tow. I know this will cost some battery but that is OK.
A second scooter? If the dive is far enough that a swim back is not possible, a single scooter seems a bit irrational.

Handle from an old exercise band tied to a small rope (550 cord works great) with a snap tag hooks to your plate or rear D-ring. A gear keeper to retract the handle when not being held so it doesn't drag anywhere. The rope is shorter than the keeper so all the weight is on the rope. Handle goes to about mid calf or ankles. I use this setup often and it works great. 2nd diver can easily move side to side to look at things while still holding on.

20230414_171706.jpg
20230414_171711.jpg
20230414_171719.jpg

Boarderguy, have you had people last for a mile+ with the handle? It's a nice clean solution. I have a donor handle sitting right here too.

Boarderguy, have you had people last for a mile+ with the handle? It's a nice clean solution. I have a donor handle sitting right here too.
1/2 mile in current is the longest and most obnoxious trip I've done with it. Most dives around here are under 1/4 mile out and we're usually just on it for the trip. Once there it's fining and looking for critters. There really isn't much hand stress and you can easily swap as needed. When I'm the dope on the rope I often veer off left or right to look at stuff while still holding on. The dope can lightly fin when bored. Depending on the speed we're going I will fin next to my buddy and grab on as desired. Really a win win imo

Nail a double outrigger to it and each of you hang off each side, frees up the prop to work right

I've used Boarderguy's solution a couple of times now and it works great. My passengers have had no trouble hanging on at nominal speeds. I also carry the handle+rope with me on multiple-scooter outings in case someone needs a tow.

I've used Boarderguy's solution a couple of times now and it works great. My passengers have had no trouble hanging on at nominal speeds. I also carry the handle+rope with me on multiple-scooter outings in case someone needs a tow.
I've adjusted my setup a little bit and it's even easier on me. I now have the tow rope attached to my tow ring and then the retractor to my back plate. This puts the stress at the same point the scooter is pulling from and keeps me horizontal in the water. When towing and attached to the plate it would try to pull me slightly vertical. The retractor has zero stress on it when towing and keeps the handle pulled up between my thighs and not snagging anything

Oh yeah I was already using the tow ring (crotch strap d-ring). I thought that was what you were suggesting. Makes everything very smooth.

Back
Top Bottom