Tourist dive in Milwaukee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
There is a chance I will be in Milwaukee or Racine for a day this summer and I was wondering of there is a quick and easy dive I could do while I am there. This would be a "Rent everything but a mask and snorkel" type of thing, jist a single tank, probably shore dive. Does such a thing exist around there?

I’ve been wondering about easy access shore dive stuff on Lake Michigan myself so I just shot a message off to somone who’d know. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Check out the shipwreck of the Appomattox. It is accessible from shore, at a park in Whitefish Bay, WI. There used to be 100ish stairs, but I've been told there is a paved ramp now. I don't know that it counts as quick and easy. There are a few dive shops remaining in Milwaukee, but none are particularly close to the wreck site. I haven't been on the wreck since 2003. The visibility in Lake Michigan is typically quite good, however wind direction and waves will play a part in the conditions on a wreck close to shore.

Poke around on here. I’m not sure what there is.

I can tell you the local dive boats are weekends only. You’d have to check out Milwaukee dive shops.
Marie, Jitka’s boat does weekday charters as does the Len-der. I dive a couple times a week usually out of MKE. As far as shore dives, I can’t recommend any and there are a few wrecks that are reachable from shore that I know of, but I believe they are also adjacent to some water treatment nastiness.

Got my answer. The easy access shore wrecks are up in Door County. Nowhere near Milwaukee.

Ok, thanks for the info. I will squirrel that away in case I ak back out there on a longer trip.

There are charters that go out during the week as well, though with less frequency. Check with Shipwreck Explorers for their schedule. There are a couple shops in town that will rent gear. The Prins Willem V and the SS Milwaukee are my favorites, with the Willie being a great wreck to poke around inside as its pretty open and forgiving.

There are charters that go out during the week as well, though with less frequency. Check with Shipwreck Explorers for their schedule. There are a couple shops in town that will rent gear. The Prins Willem V and the SS Milwaukee are my favorites, with the Willie being a great wreck to poke around inside as its pretty open and forgiving.

I just ran through Jitka’s schedule for this year. Weekday charters maybe twice a month, if that.

Back
Top Bottom