Tragic death while diving in Cozumel 12/8/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She did sound like an amazing person. My condolence goes out to her family and husband who had to deal with this tragedy on their honeymoon.

How awful :(
I can't imagine how her family, especially her new husband, must be feeling.

What I heard from someone very close to the event is that there was an existing (but unknown) medical condition that caused her death after surfacing from a dive. According to the information I got, her death was not related to the dive, it would have happened regardless of her location or activity.

How horrible for her and her family. Prayer and condolences go out to all involved.
As to the above post, if the condition is unknown then how do they know that is what caused the death?

As to the above post, if the condition is unknown then how do they know that is what caused the death?x

I read that post as meaning that the condition was a preexisting medical condition that WAS undiagnosed prior to her death - could have been anything, like a faulty heart valve, intermittent arythmia, an undiagnosed aneurism. I have known a few people, young and in good physical shape, who dropped dead due to a condition that was not diagnosed until the autopsy.

I read that post as meaning that the condition was a preexisting medical condition that WAS undiagnosed prior to her death - could have been anything, like a faulty heart valve, intermittent arythmia, an undiagnosed aneurism. I have known a few people, young and in good physical shape, who dropped dead due to a condition that was not diagnosed until the autopsy.

Yes, they discovered the issue upon autopsy.

Ok, I just read that wrong. Please disregard my question.

Which pre-existing condition. :( had this young woman not been diving before?

If it was a pre-existing condition that diving made worse, it may just not have been "worse enough" before. Since no one has named it yet, I'm assuming they don't want to share her medical information.

Based on this comment, it sounds like it had nothing to do with diving (so probably not a PFO)- "According to the information I got, her death was not related to the dive, it would have happened regardless of her location or activity."

I'm not a medical professional, so I don't want to give out any information that isn't accurate, and I don't recall the exact details of the medical condition. I don't know whether the issue was something that was pre-existing in an ongoing way or a short term condition (like an acute illness or injury), but I was told that nothing about diving caused her death. I really only shared any information to clarify that though she passed away diving, it was not a diving accident so that people didn't get into the speculation about causes, etc that usually happens in the case of diving accidents.

Ahh, yes, please excuse me being remiss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom