Trainer killed at Seaworld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off the coast of Georgia...they are having a problem with "beggar dolphins". Sport Fisherman have been feeding the local dolphins, and some of them are now conditioned now to hang around fishing boats for handouts.

Lock Washer

Been feeding dolphins ever since the first fisherman in a dugout tossed back bycatch.. That is how they associate food with boats, but I don't buy the argument that this "endangers" them. They just know a good deal when they see it.

The shrimpboats, longlines, etc. Commercial fishermen toss tons more than any sport fisherman or recreational boaters do.

Been feeding dolphins ever since the first fisherman in a dugout tossed back bycatch.. That is how they associate food with boats, but I don't buy the argument that this "endangers" them. They just know a good deal when they see it.

The shrimpboats, longlines, etc. Commercial fishermen toss tons more than any sport fisherman or recreational boaters do.

Well, the dolphins may see it as a good deal...but if leads to a dolphin getting chopped by a boat prop: that's not good. Or in the case when some stupid woman wants to go swimming with them, and gets a nasty bite (which it did happen)...you know somebody's going to sue the city, county, state, government, or demand that dolphin gets put down...I don't see that as good deal for the dolphins either.

Lock Washer

For those that feel strongly against killer whales in captivity...read this article:

Your Chilean Sea Bass Dinner Deprives Killer Whales | Wired Science | Wired.com

Lock Washer

I believe Chilean Sea Bass is on the road to extinction itself due to severe overfishing... I heard a statistic that at current fishing rates much of the ocean's sea life will be gone by 2050, not sure how accurate that was but it is alarming.

Chilean Seabass - Seafood Watch | Monterey Bay Aquarium

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=35349

You can probably add Mediterranean Blue Fin Tuna to fish on the road to extinction too. The Japanese are fighting any fishing limits on them. Guess they are going to eat them until extinction...then complain they are gone.

Lock Washer

Hm ... any Japanese recipes, er ... recipes for Japanese piscivores?

I'm just curious about what you would like Japan to eat. The US has something like 7.7 acres of land per person. We have space to grow things like corn, cows, chickens, and so on. In Japan, they have around .73 acres per person. To makes things harder (in Japan), only around 1/5th of that land is available to grow food. The rest is mountains.

With so little land to grow food on, it only makes sense that the island nation is heavily dependent on the sea for food.

You can't just say 'stop eating this, that, and the other' from the ocean without having some kind of reasonable alternative. What would you like them to eat instead?

Last edited:
I'm just curious about what you would like Japan to eat. The US has something like 16 acres of land per person. We have space to grow things like corn, cows, chickens, and so on. In Japan, they have just over 1 acre per person. To makes things harder (in Japan), only around 1/5th of that land is available to grow food. The rest is mountains.

With so little land to grow food on, it only makes sense that the island nation is heavily dependent on the sea for food.

You can't just say 'stop eating this, that, and the other' from the ocean without having some kind of reasonable alternative. What would you like them to eat instead?

I suppose you are right, Islands are rough places to have a HUGE population. But they really have two choices as i see it: import more non-fish foods and fish less, or deplete all fish stocks and be FORCED to import EVERYTHING.

Everyone always complains about limits, but if you just eat in moderation and are restricting yourself then we could ALL have fish every once in a while and enjoy it for many years to come. But no, everyone wants to dregde the ocean and catch every last fish to feed an insatiable low price sushi habit. I suppose I will never understand the people that totally disregard any conservationist or sustainable practices. Perhaps because it is made out to be a political issue when it really shouldn't be.

I love seafood, and The Monterey Bay aquarium has a great sustainable fish guide that is really helpful. Sometimes I go into a restaurant that serves many sustainable selections, and sometimes not, but at least I know and can chose wisely.

Everyone always complains about limits, but if you just eat in moderation and are restricting yourself then we could ALL have fish every once in a while and enjoy it for many years to come.

That sounds nice, but I don't think that's true.

Right now there are around 7 billion people on the earth. 10 years ago there were around 6 billion. Lets pretend everyone was eating in moderation 10 years ago and ocean fishing was sustainable then (not true, but let's pretend). For ocean fishing to be sustainable now, 10 years later with 1 billion more people, we each have to be eating ~15% less. Each person's 'share' will keep going down as world population goes up and up.

As for why countries can't just cut back to a level that is sustainable for everyone-
Tragedy of the commons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Japan gave up Blue Fin Tuna, cold turkey (so to speak) tomorrow the net impact on the available calories per person would be negligible, so that's not really the point ... is it? It's not a matter of what can they eat ... it's more a question of what they prefer to eat. Food is a very personal, and cultural thing and no wants outsiders dictating their diet to them. In this case, sorry ... too damned bad!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom