Training for Wreck Penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDiveGirl

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving now for a couple of years and recently have gotten into local diving (wreck) in NJ. I'm pretty good with the broken up wrecks, running a line but have little to no experience in wreck penetration.

Any suggestions on who, what, where etc... to get training? What would be the suggested next step?

Tx!

Not sure where in NJ you are. But I plan on taking a wreck course with Elite Divers in Rockaway next year as long as they run it. This year they didn't because I believe the person who was supposed to teach it left. But Barb and Frank who work for the shop can instruct this class (they pretty much teach damn near everything). Their a husband and wife team, so you pretty much get 2 instructors for the price of one! You should give them a ring in a month or two and see if they are having the class. I know I am taking it for certain if they are offering it.

I'm a bit away from Rockaway but that may be an option! Thanks!

You really can't go wrong with Frank and Barb from Elite. 2 of the nicest people I know and GREAT instructors. They not only dive just about every condtion and area imaginable but they TEACH it all also.

NJDiveGirl:
Any suggestions on who, what, where etc... to get training? What would be the suggested next step? Thanks!
Email Steve.

Here is his website:
www.techdiver.com

He's not exactly local either, but he's an excellent instructor for what you're looking for. (No disrespect to anyone else...)

Thing about wreck penetration is that, to a large extent, cave training is often applicable in terms of line handling, reel handling, lost line drills, lost light drills, avoiding line traps, dive planning, gas management planning, etc.

Steve teaches cave diving in the caves in Florida, as well as mixed gas wreck penetration diving in the wrecks along the St. Lawrence. One of the best instructors I know. Worth your time to consider.

FWIW.

I also wanted to take this wreck class at Elite divers, i was just wondering if this class is worth it for a pretty new diver, who is not yet into diving doubles with bp/wing?

NYG1931:
I also wanted to take this wreck class at Elite divers, i was just wondering if this class is worth it for a pretty new diver, who is not yet into diving doubles with bp/wing?
Your best bet would be to talk to Charlie, Nick, Frank or Barb. I think they said they were schedualing next years classes sometime late this month. I'm planning on taking a Cavern/Intro to Cave course in Feb and I know that it is perfectly fine to do on singles, provided you have and adequate pony. A lot of the info taught in the cave classes is what is taught in the wreck classes since thats where many practices for overhead enviroments came from.

I'm starting my Wreck Penetration Class in two weeks out here on the West Coast, in Monterey and San Diego Calif. (HMCS Yukon). Look here for a Course Description and for ideas/questions to ask prospective Instructors out there in Jersey Land. . .
http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html

NJDiveGirl:
Any suggestions on who, what, where etc... to get training? What would be the suggested next step?

Tx!

I've been very happy with Lakeland Divers in East Hanover, NJ. The owners Al Pytak and Mike DeCharles are also boat captains and run the Sea Lion out of Brielle, NJ. They're very experienced divers and very much into wreck diving. I will be taking the Wreck Diver class with them next year. Worth a visit. Their site is http://www.lakelanddivers.com good luck

Lakeland is a great place too! Can't really go wrong with Elite or Lakeland.

Back
Top Bottom