Training suggestions with new diving partner before the liveaboard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apedai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are a group of three, I have 30 diving experiences, but haven't encountered currents before. Buddy 1 has 50 diving experiences, and the experience of Buddy 2 is unknown (maybe is rookie or hasn't dove for a long time). She is feeling scared and anxious about this trip.
We plan to have training in a local 6m pool, including teamwork and emergency response. This is my first time diving with them (I assume they haven't dived together before either). Do you have any recommended exercise plans? Thanks.

Where are you planning to go on the liveaboard trip?

Why a threesome? Even as an experienced diver I hate diving in threesomes, but I do it with some of my experienced buddies that I know very well on occasion.

A meet up is an excellent idea, have a chat over a coffee first and find out what each of you is looking for on this trip.

The pool meeting is also an excellent plan. This will give you a chance to go over what gear each of you have and hopefully an opportunity to practice using a DSMB as well as evaluating each other's buoyancy etc.

Keep us all posted as to how it goes.

Where are you planning to go on the liveaboard trip?
Maldives, the route is "square"
1678081399033.png

Why a threesome?
Because Buddy 1 will be my roommate on board and Buddy 2 is his former workmate, she thinks that diving with him will make her feel safe. Buddy 1 wants the we two look after her together. Perhaps could ease her anxiety.
practice using a DSMB as well as evaluating each other's buoyancy etc
Good idea!
My plan is to practice mask remove and replace, share air source (s-drill?) , simulate inflator failure (emergency exhaust and detach and reattach inflator hose), and communicate underwater.

Make sure you have a slate or better Wetnotes so that you can communicate easier with each other.

Personally I prefer Wetnotes as you can pre-write certain points down and this saves time, especially if it is something you might have difficulty communicating with sign language. Although with so little experience I'm not sure what that might be for you.

Maldives is great, although I only visited once back in 1998. Go with the flow in currents, never fight it. Hopefully the vis will be good enough for the three of you to stick together easily and visually. The DSMB is essential for the boats to pick you up, so make sure you all have at least a 2m one.

Additionally carry some other communication devices such as a small mirror, as well as a decent torch.

Depending on the space in your BCD pockets, I would also add a small bottle of drinking water and a sealed snack like a Mars or Snickers bar, just in case you do have a longer than expected wait in the water before you are picked up .... better to have than to have not. Someone is also going to add below about PLBs and radios I'm sure.

Personally I prefer Wetnotes as you can pre-write certain points down and this saves time, especially if it is something you might have difficulty communicating with sign language. Although with so little experience I'm not sure what that might be for you.
Okey I will prepare one.
Go with the flow in currents, never fight it.
Ascending and descending currents is problem, is they common in maldives?
better to have than to have not
I will carry mirror, torch, cutter, scissor and lifeline with me, food and water I will try fix them on the back plate.
1678087754146.png

No, regular rec set
Then it's not called an S-drill, your buddy will only be using your octopus in an OOA situation, which hopefully will not happen.

Then it's not called an S-drill, your buddy will only be using your octopus in an OOA situation, which hopefully will not happen.
Hahaha, now I konw s-drill=donate primary 2nd stage with long hose.

be sure you discuss communication, communication, and communication

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom