Training suggestions with new diving partner before the liveaboard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you're on the liveaboard be honest with the cruise director and your dive guide about your level of experience and level of anxiety about diving. Maldives can be challenging diving and they will want to know if you or your buddies need extra help.

Reactions: Doc
be sure you discuss communication, communication, and communication
You are right, there are 2 things I'm worry about: buddy panic and up down currents. Communication is good way to reduce fear.

Once you're on the liveaboard be honest with the cruise director and your dive guide about your level of experience and level of anxiety about diving. Maldives can be challenging diving and they will want to know if you or your buddies need extra help.
Hahaha, my friend said: If you are noob diver, tip your dive guide, you will feel better. thank your advise😄

The current in the Maldives is ripping fast. You need to be prepared.

Typical dive in the Maldives:

-You jump into blue water up-current from a sea mount
-Descend to the prescribed depth and drift in blue water until the sea mount comes into view
-Land on the sea mount and swim around or use your reef hook to secure your position
-When you reach your time/gas limit, launch off the sea mount into the current
-Shoot your surface marker buoy (SMB) to alert the dive boat that you're drifting away
-Perform a normal ascent and safety stop in blue water
-Wait on the surface until the dive boat comes to you

There are no references when you're drifting in blue water, so watch your depth and gas closely.

If you get blown away in the current, don't panic, just shoot your SMB and ascend normally. If one person gets blown away in the current, join that person. Stay together as a group. Be sure that you have devices for signaling on the surface, like signal mirrors, horn/whistle, and SMBs.

You must have hand signals in your group to communicate time, gas, and "it's time to leave" (dive over, start ascending and shoot the SMB).

I recommend the Halcyon 1 meter SMB with the over-pressure relief valve. What ever SMB you buy, it must be one that can be inflated at depth. Some people like the open-bottom SMB (they're easier to fill and gas vents through the open bottom when it's full), but these don't stay inflated in the surface.

Permanently attach 100 feet of line to the SMB and a spool, and get a doubled-ended bolt snap. Don't get a reel, get a spool.

Everyone should have an SMB/spool and be experienced with using them.

Also you'll need a reef hook. You can probably rent them, but you don't know what you're going to get unless you ask first. You want a reef hook with a single hook, not a double hook. Set up the reef hook so you have about 8 feet of line and a bolt snap on the end to connect the line to your BC.

The best place to attach the line is to your centerline at about the level of your diaphragm or lower sternum. If you attach it too high, the reef hook line will keep slapping your regulator and face. Too low, and you'll be unstable in heavy current. If you have a sternum strap on your BC, adjust it's position so that it's at the level of your diaphragm, or just an inch higher. If you connect the line to a shoulder strap, you will be pulled sideways and it will be a struggle to relax.

You also need a pocket in which to store the reef hook. It should be easily accessible, because your dive guide will often surprise you will the signal to "hook here," and you have to be able to be able to get your reef hook fast.

I like the ScubaPro reef hook, but I replaced the line with something stronger but similar in diameter (like climbing cord).

IMGP3211.jpg

IMGP3212.jpg

smb1000.jpg

Thank for your detailed reply! Dr.Harry.
Shoot your surface marker buoy (SMB) to alert the dive boat that you're drifting away
So I can shoot SMB when drifting? or "off the bus" first and then shoot it?

Some people like the open-bottom SMB
Yes I bought the largest one, 1.8m...it is open bottom...and a metal spool with 18m line. but someone told me metal spool + barehand not a good idea.

I shoot it at pool, the first time I trapped myself cuz the line is too loose to stay at spool. I rerolled it, the problem is gone.

You want a reef hook with a single hook, not a double hook. Set up the reef hook so you have about 8 feet of line and a bolt snap on the end to connect the line to your BC.

The best place to attach the line is to your centerline at about the level of your diaphragm or lower sternum.
My reef hook is this type
tb_image_share_1678151663848.jpg
Is it a double hook?
My bc is BP/W style so the most close the "kite point" is the D-ring at chest?

Btw, are you that ISE instructor? I watched many his video, it helps.

You can shoot the SMB while drifting. Your buddies can watch their depth in blue water and you can use them for a depth reference while you're shooting.

The double hook that you have will be more difficult to place. Usually you find one little hole for the hook. With your double, you're going to have look around a bit more for a suitable hooking spot.

Tangled in the line? That's why you practice now.

The chest D ring in not a good spot because it's off to the side. But if you make a line that connects both your left and right D rings, with a ring in the center for the hook, that will be okay. Might be a bit high. You can always lower your shoulder D rings if you find they're too high.

I am not an instructor. Those are videos I randomly chose from YouTube.

. Do you have any recommended exercise plans? Thanks.
Lots of posts and all you have is a shopping list of gadgets.

+1 @also_anon_dc

Owning the tool is not mastery. Pool training is a place to begin, baby steps.

Maldives is done off of the big cabin cruiser aboard little “dhoni” boats which present multiple additional challenges because they are by any definition- really rough contraptions.

Marginal deck surfaces, seating, exits, rough ladders, all that and more.

Recovery, in current, after doing a blue water safety stop, is not a simple or intuitive act.

By the end of a dive week, you will qualify for a ‘learner’s permit’.

Meet your DM and tell them flat out…”I have no clue what you need me to do, teach me”. They will. They assume that we know nothing- because that is simply true. Admit you want and need help.

Glue your face to his butt.

It will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom