Transfer to Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. If you're not hauling too much gear and open to taking public transports (bus, jeepney and tricycle), you could do it for less than USD10 one way.

$390 for transfers Manila-Anilao is a total gouge. It should be more like $100 each way, and if shop around, you can find cheaper.

Dauin is nice, but I think most would agree that Anilao has better diving. Plus, you will save time driving from Manila to Anilao, rather than fly from Manila to Dumaguete and then transfer to Dauin (don't forget you would need at least a 90 minute layover between your international arrival and domestic departure, more if they are in different terminals). Plus, you will have to watch out for those baggage surcharges if you book a domestic ticket separate from your overseas flight.

Mind you, if you want to do other stuff besides dive, Dauin has more topside activities. But if all you care about is diving, you may as well go to Anilao, since it has pretty much the best macro in the world. :wink:

Unless you are taking Philippine Airlines, you're going to have to switch from the international to the domestic terminal. That's anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour away (depending on the traffic) by taxi. You'll need a lot of time in between flights just because the traffic is so unpredictable.

Thanks for the info.

Yes the quote of $390 for a return transfer (Manila-Anilao)was from a new resort.

I just need to decide now whether to hit Anialo or Dauin. Been to both a few years ago. Love the diving at Anilao but the long transfer is a pain.

Now if you decide to go to the new resort I'm afraid you'll have to find yourself a boat that will bring you from the pier to Secret Bay (which is where it is located). I was told there was no road access for the resort (pls note I only visited on a surface intervall but wasn't staying).

As for Anilao vs. Dauin, for me there is no competition, unless you're a freak for Ghostpipefish and Frogfish (normal fare of 10 GPF and 4 froggies in a Dauin dive), Anilao wins hands down. There are less sites around in Dauin and in the end, it always revolves to Car Wreck that you will dive 4 times in 5 days.
Apo was a great disappointment for me, very few fish, the east side corals have been partially destroyed, nothing to compare with Beatrice (or if you can afford the trip, with Verde).

Life's probably better in Dauin but it then depends on what you're aiming.

Heading to Manila tomorrow.

Spending 5 days at Club O in Anilao.

Will report back.

Heading to Manila tomorrow.

Spending 5 days at Club O in Anilao.

Will report back.

Just back from 5 great days at Club O.
Transport was private car, $140 for return. Took 3+hrs leaving Manila at 8.30 am.

Club O was great, great guides and excellent value.

Dive highlights Twin rocks and Anilao pier night dive. The night dive was amazing , one of the best i have done, lots of Mimic octpus.
Weather was great , flat seas, blue skies. Warm water , 28-29 C.

I stayed in Citadines Makati, a new serviced apt/hotel. Cost $130 per night, but was very nice & great location.

All up a fantastic week.

I have made the trip from Manila to Anilao 3x. The longest took about 3 hours (lots of construction going on) and the shortest was less than 80 minutes (driver thought he was Mario Andretti) Cost should be closer to $100 each way. Traffic in Manila is very unpredictable.

I personally loved Club O. There are nicer resorts, but the dive operation and guides was much better at Club Ocellaris.

Just back from 5 great days at Club O.
Transport was private car, $140 for return. Took 3+hrs leaving Manila at 8.30 am.

Club O was great, great guides and excellent value.

Dive highlights Twin rocks and Anilao pier night dive. The night dive was amazing , one of the best i have done, lots of Mimic octpus.
Weather was great , flat seas, blue skies. Warm water , 28-29 C.

I stayed in Citadines Makati, a new serviced apt/hotel. Cost $130 per night, but was very nice & great location.

All up a fantastic week.
Since you mentioned prices, would you mind sharing what you paid for diving and accommodations at Club O? My understanding of Anilao in general is that you're best off either showing up with at least 3 other people to share the costs of boat dives, or hope that there are other single divers on site to split costs with. Otherwise, you're stuck renting a boat by yourself. OK for those with deepish pockets, but for budget travellers like me, it's a no-go. (I did go to Anilao in 2012 and stayed at a very nice resort. It was with a group, though, and all that forced socializing damn near killed an introvert like me. :wink: )

Take the bus and save the $385 for something else.

I mean I know that diving is an expensive hobby, but do you have to throw money away? The bus takes 2 1/2 hours, and your resort will meet you at the bus station in most cases. Or a taxi will be another 300pesos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom