Question Transmitter on a short hose: good disconnection practice?

What to disconnect

• 1) Disconnect everything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2) Just the hose

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 3) Just the transmitter

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 4) I don't disconnect anything

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, between the hose and first stage. Hose stays on transmitter. Short hose, 15 - 20 cm
Why? So there's not a hose hanging if you dive without?

I don't dive this way, but curious.

Any pics?
1691666730950.jpeg

and if/when the transmitter is removed:

1691666765919.jpeg

I don't see any reason to put the transmitter on a hose. It's easy enough to disconnect by hand when I'm breaking down the gear for travel.

I don't see any reason to put the transmitter on a hose. It's easy enough to disconnect by hand when I'm breaking down the gear for travel.
I have mine on a short 6" hose, sort of gets it out of the way and behind the wing.If I had it to do over, I think 9" would get it a little more out of the way.

I just don't want it to get bumped when inside a wreck or other overhead.

Added the "I do not disconnect" option to the poll.
If the regulators are properly stored in a protective bag, I see little risk. If you have your regs in a bag that you feel protects the regs, it will also protect the transmitter. They aren't as "delicate" as you seem to think.

With that said, the situation you describe does not apply to my diving. For the type of diving that I do, I have not found the need to remove the transmitter. Given the situation you describe, I would probably choose the keep the entire reg bag, transmitters, and computers all with me in a backpack and not transported in the back of a van or pickup.

Just my two cents. I don't see many who regularly remove their transmitters, but those that do seem to use a QD.
Fair point. I have a protective bag, but in reality the regs always just with go everything in the wet bag. Not the best practice I imagine. Maybe with the transmitter connected I will behave differently.

On the hose or no hose topic, to me the benefit/importance of a short hose depends upon the orientation of your HP port and the reg on the tank. On all of my regs (AL Legend Elite, Legend LX, and Mikron), the HP ports are below the LP ports and angle downward. The transmitter tucks into a nicely protected spot below both reg LP hoses, the tank neck and my wing on my right side (left looking at the kit). I see no need for a short hose to protect the transmitter. It is already protected quite well. YMMV depending upon your specific reg and the orientation on your tank.

On the hose or no hose topic, to me the benefit/importance of a short hose depends upon the orientation of your HP port and the reg on the tank. On all of my regs (AL Legend Elite, Legend LX, and Mikron), the HP ports are below the LP ports and angle downward. The transmitter tucks into a nicely protected spot below both reg LP hoses, the tank neck and my wing on my right side (left looking at the kit). I see no need for a short hose to protect the transmitter. It is already protected quite well. YMMV depending upon your specific reg and the orientation on your tank.
I use the Oceanic FDX10 regulator and it has the same configuration. It would be damn near impossible for someone to grab the transmitter unless they went to extraordinary means and effort to do so.

As for travel, I pack mine in my carry on bag which stays with me from home to destination. But even if I did have to load it in the back of a van or pick-up truck, it is packed rather securely so that rough handing shouldn't be a problem.

Voted - just the transmitter. I use a Sunnto QuickDisconnect at the end of the short 6” or less hose. The reg stays on a hanger together with my BP/W and wetsuit hung to drip dry overnight at the dive shop everyday the entire week - wherever I go vacation diving, while the DC on my wrist and Transmitter go back to the hotel room with me. The QD metal connector has an endcap to keep the dust or dirt out while it stays back unplugged from the Transmitter.

Ditto on a Liveaboard.

I have a compact Mares 62X. Four LP ports (upper part) and two HP ports (bottom part). Picture below. I was thinking about the short hose to avoid a situation many described, that is someone grabbing the tank using the transmitter as a handle.

1691678432777.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom