Transmitter problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving all week and my VT3 has been working flawlessly, never losing sync with the transmitter, until we changed the battery! Yesterday we changed the battery in my transmitter and now it won't work. Is there a trick or did I kill my transmitter somehow?? HELP!

I would try a differnt battery. I had a smimliar issue where I had 2 batteries actually DOA out of a new pack. I out my old low battery back in and it worked but gave me low battery warning so returned the batteries and tried out a new one and perect. However for My G/F tranmitter we were diving 1st dive no issue's 2nd dive went to check air and would not show pressure we changed battery with good battery still nothing. We then hooked her transmitter to my mask nothing. CHecked my tranmistter to her mask perfect. So the transmitter dies just liked that. We contacted Oceanic and it was I believe a 120 flat fee to fix it and had it back in bout 2 weeks.

Before thinking all is lost open up the battery compartment again. Remove the battery and check for dirt on each of the contacts on the battery and within the transmitter. Even a tiny speck can be a problem because of the shape of the battery dirt tends to migrate to the worst possible spot and oxides can also build there. A pencil eraser and Q-tip dampened with alocohol can be used to clean the contacts. The battery voltage can be checked with a volt ohm meter.

Thanks, I'll try cleaning the contacts before giving up. We actually put the old battery back into the transmitter and it still didn't work. Not really holding out hope anymore. :(

I had the EXACT thing happen with me...I thought the transmitter was pooched. I then replaced the battery with a new Duracell battery and it worked immediately. I had previously tried 3 batteries and they all failed. With the Duracell I made damn sure the 'best before date' was like 4 years from now. Strange that the 'low battery' did not work for me either...almost like first time it's put under pressure there's a big voltage drop, perhaps to fill some volatile memory from backing non-volatile memory. Dunno, just know when I put in a strong battery it worked. And I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief...

Well, we went to a local dive shop to buy gauges and there was a tech on duty who not only tried to link the transmitter again, but checked a new Duracell battery before installing it and trying to sync again. Verdict: It's dead. :( Fortunately there's an Oceanic dealer in Honolulu who deals with this problem and gets refurbished ones from Oceanic by sending in ones like mine, so I'll be able to get a "new" one tomorrow or the next day (need to ship it to Maui) for only $120.

Even so, I think I'll be leaving the new gauge on my regs for safety's sake. Thanks for the help guys, it really helped!

Get a battery from Oceanic, those batties are not very comon and a lot of times have very little charge. If you get them from Oceanic or and Oceanic dealer they will have a good charge.

Our tech took the battery straight out of an oceanic package and checked the charge with a volt meter prior to putting it in the transmitter. Nothing....dead transmitter. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom