Transport from Malapascua to Negros?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, april is pushing it. I wouldn't expect to see whalesharks around that time in Sogod. I'm under the impression Nov-Feb was the season there and [-]Feb[/-] November-May in Donsol (where they head to next).

edit: you know, a quick search yields a lot of different info - some claim that the whaleshark season ends there in April, best to ask the resort. The likelihood to see one does decrease around that time.

I'm going to have to hold my hand up and say I screwed up here. It was late last night and when I read Malapascua I thought Moalboal. So the "1 hour north of the ferry" is complete bs. Malapascua is a lot further from Dumaguete.

So, how about the new flights from Cebu to Dumaguete starting Jan 12th every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, leaving Cebu at 825am arriving Duma 905am. Cuts out some travel time at least.

Jag(nice new pic by the way mate!) has explained Ro-ro so no need to go into that anymore.

I think negros occ. is a good choice for non diving travel it is very beautiful, has decent roads, and some killer beaches in Sipalay and Hinobaan. There is also a fairly good Ceres bus service and places to stay.

So conclusion - go to Malapascua, get wherever you stay to organise transport from and to Cebu. Fly to Dumaguete, nip over to Siquijor, then set off from Duma clockwise around Negros on a road trip to Bacolod, with possible side route to Mabinay and/or San Jose. Fly back to Manila from Bacolod.

Deal? :)

Isn't the fast ferry still running from Cebu City to Dumaguete (about 3 hours)? It usually leaves in the morning to Dumaguete then back to Cebu City in the afternoon. Going by air wouldn't save you much and you be diving by the afternoon. If you are leaving the Philippines via Manilla you could fly there from Dumaguete of course.

I do recommend diving and staying on Apo Island if you can. I've done the trip a couple of times and would not recommend the bus between Dumaguete and Cebu. A long ride depending on traffic up to 5.5 hours coming into Cebu at noon rush hour.

yeah, april is pushing it. I wouldn't expect to see whalesharks around that time in Sogod. I'm under the impression Nov-Feb was the season there and [-]Feb[/-] November-May in Donsol (where they head to next).

edit: you know, a quick search yields a lot of different info - some claim that the whaleshark season ends there in April, best to ask the resort. The likelihood to see one does decrease around that time.
Hm, that would make Leyte a stop for another trip then.
Isn't the fast ferry still running from Cebu City to Dumaguete (about 3 hours)? It usually leaves in the morning to Dumaguete then back to Cebu City in the afternoon. Going by air wouldn't save you much and you be diving by the afternoon. If you are leaving the Philippines via Manilla you could fly there from Dumaguete of course.
Still looking into that. We do depart from
I do recommend diving and staying on Apo Island if you can. I've done the trip a couple of times and would not recommend the bus between Dumaguete and Cebu. A long ride depending on traffic up to 5.5 hours coming into Cebu at noon rush hour.
You mean, staying nearby Apo island (such as malatapay) rather then cruising up and down for just 2 dives?
I surely wasn't planning such madness :wink:

We've so far decided to skip Leyte and perhaps Negros Occ. as well. We're going to look into the possibility to go with sea-explorers and do a package as we're staying at a fews destinations they cater, and transport, to.

However, we still have some days left with non-diving activities. We think we'll have plenty to do near dumaguete and siquijor, but another destination would be nice.

Hm, that would make Leyte a stop for another trip then.

Still looking into that. We do depart from

You mean, staying nearby Apo island (such as malatapay) rather then cruising up and down for just 2 dives?
I surely wasn't planning such madness :wink:

We've so far decided to skip Leyte and perhaps Negros Occ. as well. We're going to look into the possibility to go with sea-explorers and do a package as we're staying at a fews destinations they cater, and transport, to.

However, we still have some days left with non-diving activities. We think we'll have plenty to do near dumaguete and siquijor, but another destination would be nice.

Sorry, I can't keep track of your proposed itinerary with so many changes. I have done the Apo Island and Malapascua but not in one trip. It seems you are traveling around a lot with your current plans. I currently am planning a three week trip - arrive Manila fly to Dumaguete - a stay on Apo Island 6-7 days - transport to Cebu - then Malapascua for 7 days -back to Cebu then Manila. Just me so I don't have to be concerned with non-divers needing entertainment - there isn't much on Apo. Malapascua (7 trips) and Apo (2 trips) are my two top placed to dive in the Philippines.

Malapascua - I dive with TSD.
Apo Island (South of Dumaguete)- I stay at Liberty Lodge/Paul's diving. Not much to do but dive. I like all of the dives around the island and 4-5 days gives me time to dive all of them and my favorites multiple times. I usually do the night dive every day. Dive operations on Negros will dive at Apo but only a couple of dives each day after a 30-40 minute boat ride.

Sea Explorers has operations at Malapascua and near Dumaguete which would probably dive at Apo Island.

Sorry, I can't keep track of your proposed itinerary with so many changes.
Yeah, sorry about that; it seems we change our mind at least once a day. We're looking for a combination of price, traveltime and destinations and it isn't easy.
I have done the Apo Island and Malapascua but not in one trip. It seams you are traveling around a lot with your current plans. I currently am planning a three week trip - arrive Manila fly to Dumaguete - a stay on Apo Island 6-7 days - transport to Cebu - then Malapascua for 7 days -back to Cebu then Manila.
That's pretty much what we're trying to limit.

We're pretty sure we want to go to Malapascua first, and to Siquijor and Dumaguete. It seems the hardest part is finding an attractive transport from Malapascua to DM/Siquijor as it takes just so damn long (beware, I live in the Netherlands where traveling rarely takes more then an hour and a half)!

We've looked further at Sea Explorers, but I'm not entirely convinced it's a good deal yet. I really like the option of travel-diving from Malapascua to Siquijor, but it's quite expensive - or at least, not what I was hoping for.
About € 20/dive (ex. rental gear, and they're the most expensive rental so farat € 12/day), € 26 per night (this seems to be an OK price, except other resorts ask that per room, rather than per person) and € 55 per person per transfer from Malapascua to Siquijor.
Malapascua - I dive with TSD.
They offer rooms at Cocobana which seem pretty cheap (< € 17/room). I'll need to check with TSD what they charge for diving.
Apo Island (South of Dumaguete)- I stay at Liberty Lodge/Paul's diving. Not much to do but dive. I like all of the dives around the island and 4-5 days gives me time to dive all of them and my favorites multiple times. I usually do the night dive every day. Dive operations on Negros will dive at Apo but only a couple of dives each day after a 30-40 minute boat ride.
I think we'll hang out at Negros and do the occasional dive at Apo - we'd like to head out into the island as well.
Sea Explorers has operations at Malapascua and near Dumaguete which would probably dive at Apo Island.
Indeed; I'll need to look at prices for the total cost to see if Sea Explorers is a good deal after all. Arranging everything with 1 organisation might be nice as well.

Yeah, sorry about that; it seems we change our mind at least once a day. We're looking for a combination of price, traveltime and destinations and it isn't easy.

That's pretty much what we're trying to limit.

We're pretty sure we want to go to Malapascua first, and to Siquijor and Dumaguete. It seems the hardest part is finding an attractive transport from Malapascua to DM/Siquijor as it takes just so damn long (beware, I live in the Netherlands where traveling rarely takes more then an hour and a half)!

since it's along the way if you drive and around the area...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...780-diving-along-cebus-southeastern-side.html

Just throwing it out there for you.

It's been a while, but we think we found our desired itenary.

Cebu (1n) - Padre Burgos (4n) - Malapascua (4n) - Dumaguete (7n) - Siquijor (5n) - Cebu (2n).

We're still trying to find out if this is the best route. PB > Malapascua is difficult as the boat seems to depart at 7am from San Isidro which seems impossible to catch.

Malapascua to Dumaguete is quite a trip as well, but we think we can save some time by getting a taxi from Maya so we can get a little bit more tight schedule to catch the ferry from Cebu.

Does anyone have any tips on making these 2 long trips as easy and preferably as short as possible? Is it possible to arrange a boat from leyte to malapascua, and how much would such a charter cost?

If you do not have plans diving that morning before leaving Malapascua, i suggest you leave Maya early morning so you wouldn't be running after the scheduled ferry trip to Dumaguete (though- our ferries rarely follow their trip schedules, really). If you are to get a last minute dive to see the threshers and the mantas, there is a daily overnight trip from cebu to dumaguete. you leave Cebu close to midnight and you arrive in Dumaguete first thing in the morning. this option will give you time to enjoy that lechon for dinner. :)

i'd beg to differ maggie

fast ferries are fairly reliable as far as schedules go... in general regular bangka ferries as well...

if departure times are posted then that means they're followed pretty well...

don't get complacent about "oh they're always late leaving, we have time... let's watch a movie"... nothing sucks more than getting left behind by the boat...

Jag

another option for PB > Malapascua is:

Sogod > Bato (hired van, 1.5 hrs). Bato > Cebu (passenger ferry in morning I think 8am, about 3-4 hours). Cebu > Maya (hired van or bus, 4 hrs). Maya > Malapascua.

I think catching the ferry at San Isidro one would be better timewise but yeah, hassles to catch in the early morning. I'd bite the bullet and do an all nighter and just sleeping during the van and outrigger ride.

And yeah, from malapascua the ideal would be to take a hire car to cebu and then the fast craft to dumaguete. Maybe even think about leaving the day before and spend the night in cebu city (after 8 days in the rural areas).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom