Transport from Malapascua to Negros?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'd beg to differ maggie

fast ferries are fairly reliable as far as schedules go... in general regular bangka ferries as well...

if departure times are posted then that means they're followed pretty well...

don't get complacent about "oh they're always late leaving, we have time... let's watch a movie"... nothing sucks more than getting left behind by the boat...

Jag

depends where, Jag. and perhaps, it is way better now than the last time i got into a ferry. i grew up in Negros, remember? they never leave the time they said they would. sometimes they are really early, sometimes they are late. but of course, it never really irked me when i was a student...but it was pretty inconvenient when i didn't have the luxury of time anymore. Up to early 2007, it still has not changed...but maybe they are better since then.

depends where, Jag. and perhaps, it is way better now than the last time i got into a ferry. i grew up in Negros, remember? they never leave the time they said they would. sometimes they are really early, sometimes they are late. but of course, it never really irked me when i was a student...but it was pretty inconvenient when i didn't have the luxury of time anymore. Up to early 2007, it still has not changed...but maybe they are better since then.
We'll be sure to calculate some extra time to be 'early' at the boat, to make sure they don't leave just a little early and we'll mis it.

@chip104: yeah, travelling via Cebu is an option though it seems like quite a hassle, especially with transfer-times between all those connections.

Perhaps heading to Malapascua first, and then to PB would be easier - at least we can take the early boat to San Isidro, and PB / Cebu doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

yeah that's better cause it's like a big loop. Arrive Cebu go to Malapascua for a few days, get to Sogod via San Isidro (you can also stop by the national park around there if you feel adventurous) and stay there a few days. Then take the Bato > Cebu ferry and then catch the fastcraft to duma.

I think Oceanjet has a 3pm ferry to duma.

yeah that's better cause it's like a big loop. Arrive Cebu go to Malapascua for a few days, get to Sogod via San Isidro (you can also stop by the national park around there if you feel adventurous) and stay there a few days. Then take the Bato > Cebu ferry and then catch the fastcraft to duma.

I think Oceanjet has a 3pm ferry to duma.
I've looked up some timetables, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to make it, or wether I should calculate some more transfer times.

This is what I came up with;
Depart resort in padre burgos on the 21st of april around 10:30, and take the 12.30 ferry (goldenbridge aka roble shipping?) to cebu, arriving at 14.35. Then take the 15.35 oceanjet ferry to siquijor.

Is one hour enough in Cebu to both transfer from one ferry to another áÏd purchase a ticket? I can't find which pier oceanjet departs from; i'll arrive at cc pier 2 according to schedule.ph.
Or should I purchase the tickets when I'm in cebu begin april, when I arrive?

And another question - is it allowed in the philippines to drive a motorbike w/o a drivers license? It hasn't been a problem in the past, but it'd be nice to know hwta the actual rules say.

i think pier 2 and the ocean jet terminal are fairly close together... worst case there are cabs that should be able to zip you there... AFIK all the piers are in 1 general area (you can google map it i guess)

1 should be enough... especially if they're in the same general area

if you can pre-buy tickets all the better... saves you 1 queue when you transfer

no it is not legal to drive a motorbike w/o a license BUT laws in this country tend to be suggestions rather than rules... especially in the province... the more remote the locale the less power laws have (sadly)

so if you plan to putter around malapascua there ought to be no major problems...

metropolitan cebu - maybe... here in manila there are random checkpoints where cops stop motorbike riders to check their papers... don't know if they do that in cebu

if you get caught speak a foreign language... then shift to english... then be very contrite and apologetic... keep speaking english (or a foreign language)... once the cop's nose bleeds from forcing the language issue, they'll let you go...

luckily this isn't africa or a communist country where they shoot your ass for jaywalking...

Jag

Yeah, one hour should be fine... but April is a busy time to travel around the PI (summertime) so try to book in advance if you can, as Jag said. When you arrive is a good idea or ask if the resort can help you out with that. If you do end up missing the ferry, not a problem - find a dive op in Mactan who will take you for the afternoon to Gilutugan Marine Sanctuary or tour Cebu. Take cheap accomodations in the city for the evening, then leave early next morning for Duma.

As for the license question - do you have a license already from the Netherlands? If you do have a license that's allowed. If you have no license at at all, what Jag said. Police won't stop you though unless you're doing something really stupid. If you'll be renting a scooter from a shop, they'll most likely require a license. I usually rent straight from the locals.

Less then 3 weeks until we head off!

We've decided to do 1 night in Cebu, 5 on Malapascua, 4 at Padres Burgos, 5-6 on Siquijor, 6 at Dumaguete and finally 1 night in Cebu.

We're really excited and are finalizing our iternary as far as hotels and resorts goes. Malapascua still has some loose ends as is the last night in Cebu. It's hard to find a mix of remote and close to the airport at a fair price.

Only 1 question left - can anyone recommend something to do on the day of arrival (april 11th) in Cebu? We'll arrive around noon and it's Easter - we figured there's probably something cultural to see. Well be leaving the next morning early to Malapascua.

Back
Top Bottom