Transportation Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:huh: I'm heading down to Roatan this Saturday and I have purchased some aerosol insect repellent :death2: in an attempt to protect myself from the repotedly voracious noseeums, skeeters, fire lice, chiggers, wuzzleumps and flying purple people eaters. After researching the TSA site, I can come to no conclusive answer as to whether or not I will be permitted to travel with it in a carry-on or checked bag. Does anyone out there have any experience with TSA on this? I have emailed them, but it is our govt. and I am not optimistic about getting a prompt response.

Thank you in advance.

All the Best ~

J

Excellent! One positive for checking the aerosol... it's going to sound weird, but I couldn't find Cutter or Off! out here, but I did find this stuff called Repel, has 40% DEET, sweat resistant, etc. I've never used it before, but people out here swear by it... I'll give a full report on what TSA and the flesh-munchers and blood-suckers think (and no, I don't mean the politicians and lawyers).

Thank You ~

J

Coming home from Coz they would only allow us to have 4 AA batteries in our carry on. They were also EXTREMELY picky about the 50 lb limit. That being said, they were very helpful at letting us switch some things around between bags so that we didn't have to pay the penalty.

1Deepcat:
... in checked or carry-on luggage according to a human being that works for TSA.

Plan accordingly.

J
Thanks. Sorry about the grief some of us lay on TSA agents. The Agency and the politics behind it have been irritating, but I've had very few problems with the Agents themselves. Most of my encounters were with people who tried to do their job well and courteously, in spite of regulations that can be challenging.

Anybody ever take a tube of Seal Cement or Aqua Seal on a plane? Label says it's flammable, but FAA website says personal care products containing flamable substance less that 16 oz are OK.

Just wondered if anyone had experiance with that.

TIA

ciret:
Anybody ever take a tube of Seal Cement or Aqua Seal on a plane? Label says it's flammable, but FAA website says personal care products containing flamable substance less that 16 oz are OK.

Just wondered if anyone had experiance with that.

TIA
Yep, Shoe Goo, many times, but they took my liquid shoe polish once. Anything is possible....
:lol:​

I know the TSA agents are just doing their job, but it just annoys me how rules can change from airport to airport, and day to day on what appears to be an agent's whim.

I always take certain items in my carry on - particularly my reg, computer and dive light.

Last week I was flying back from Florida through Ft. Lauderdale with my Nite Rider dive light. I've flown through FLL many times with the light, both when I lived there going outbound and now when I return where I now live. This time they pulled my bag out from the X-ray to search it - it's happened before, especially with my reg at airports where they don't see a lot of them.

This time it was my light that attracted thier attention. After swiping it down for the explosives check, there was much conferring amongst the agents at the machine, and they called their supervisor over. He then pulled me aside and asked if the light head and battery could be disconnected. It could not I replied, they're sealed to keep water out. He then told me my light would not be allowed on the plane, either as carry on or in my luggage if they could not be separated. He said it was a hazard as it could be accidently turned on creating heat and causing a fire. He offered me a pair of wire snips to cut the cord if I wanted.

I assured him since there's two separate switches on the light that was unlikely, especially since it was in my carryone and I'd notice. I also told him I've flown with the light many times over the past few years and no one has ever questioned it before. He replied he couldn't speak for others not doing their jobs properly, but he wouldn't allow it on.

I didn't have any option at this point except to exit the secure area with the light. I went to the airlines luggage service office and they arranged to have the light Fedex'd to my home.

In the gate area I got online to the TSA site and could find no reference to lights of any type not being allowed on a plane.

I've sent an email to the TSA asking for clarification. I'll let everyone know the answer when I get it.

Marc

Good luck Marc, but don't expect anything. It's all part of the current national program - abuse the citizens for a good cause - of looking like you're doing something. That is so lame.

It's funny this thread just came back, as my shoe goo ran out on me, just odered a new tube today. Can't find it local here anymore. $7 + $7 shipping. I'll be pissed it they take the new tube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom