Transportation Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about the lights isnt a TSA deal. its FAA regs. TSA looks for firearms, weapons, and explosive devices but must also conform to several other agencies regualtions if items like HAZMAT, drugs, excessive amounts of cash, etc. are found. Keeping up with updates from other agencies can be a problem. The last thing you had with the diving light is correct...as stupid as it sounds...

...just look on the faa site and seearch for hazmat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it okay to leave batteries in a small divelight and put it either in the check in and or carryon bag?

Is it okay to leave batteries in a small divelight and put it either in the check in and or carryon bag?
I never do. Removing them lessens the chance the light could be harmed by jostling, or turn on and overheat whatever is around the light thereby creating a fire risk, plus it can look suspicious on X-ray. I have seen inspectors in foreign airports object to such, too.

This question comes up now and then. Why would you want to anyway...?

I never do. Removing them lessens the chance the light could be harmed by jostling, or turn on and overheat whatever is around the light thereby creating a fire risk, plus it can look suspicious on X-ray. I have seen inspectors in foreign airports object to such, too.

This question comes up now and then. Why would you want to anyway...?

I have a small metal cased dive light that I was thinking about leaving the batteries in as well for my trip in a week. I seriously doubt it would turn on as there is a ring that is required to be turned to turn it on, and it takes a little bit of power to turn it. I.e. rolling around would not turn it on. I was wondering what the x-ray techs would think though. One other thing that I have heard though is that you are not suppose to take empty containers in. So, if you take the batteries out, you now have an empty container. That would leave me caught between a rock and a hardplace. :shakehead:

I have a small metal cased dive light that I was thinking about leaving the batteries in as well for my trip in a week. I seriously doubt it would turn on as there is a ring that is required to be turned to turn it on, and it takes a little bit of power to turn it. I.e. rolling around would not turn it on. I was wondering what the x-ray techs would think though. One other thing that I have heard though is that you are not suppose to take empty containers in. So, if you take the batteries out, you now have an empty container. That would leave me caught between a rock and a hardplace. :shakehead:
I think that any bomb is going to need batteries, and any xray of a device with batteries inside is asking for trouble.

I don't know where you heard about empty containers; new one on me. My checked luggage always contains an empty pony bottle, empty lights, empty plastic jugs, an empty insulated beverage carrier, etc. For the straight scoop on allowed and not, see: TSA: What To Know Before You Go

I think that any bomb is going to need batteries, and any xray of a device with batteries inside is asking for trouble.

I don't know where you heard about empty containers; new one on me. My checked luggage always contains an empty pony bottle, empty lights, empty plastic jugs, an empty insulated beverage carrier, etc. For the straight scoop on allowed and not, see: TSA: What To Know Before You Go

Don,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've been all over TSA's website. The problem is the inconsistency between what is stated on the TSA's website and what is actually happening out there. I've been all over Google and read stories where a mag-lite (insert any metal or large flash light) could be considered a "club". My light is a back up but I guess it could still be considered a club if you really wanted to scrutinize it. The "empty container" issue was not necessarily a rule but a real life situation. A gentleman turned the light on for the agent and she said that was fine, but the Lithium batteries could not go back in. So he took them out and the agent said he couldn't have an empty container. So the ending agreement was he could leave one battery in and had to pack the other battery.

I was reading the thread that MentalMarine had about asking the TSA questions. I wished I could have chimed in but just now saw the thread. The problem is the that I realize the TSA is inconsistent to throw off terrorists, but how is the average person suppose to meet the requirements of the TSA and not have plans spoiled because item X was taken away if they they don't have a set standard of rules.

Anyway sorry for my tangent. I'll probably take the batteries out, put them in separate plastic bags and leave the flash light empty. Next I'll just cross my fingers.

Daryl

We are flying from Cleveland to the BVI on American Airlines. The airlines are telling us we need to check all of our scuba gear. We are not allowed to carry on our Reg's or Computers. Has anyone had any issues like this? I have carried this stuff on other flights, but this is our first flight with American Airlines.

I have carried all of my dive gear in checked luggage on about a dozen trips since 9-11. Knock on wood nothing has been missing. Ditto what domino says about the camera. Tsa has looked in my checked bags almost every time and hand inspected my camera bag more than half of the time. Itry to keep abreast of the latest TSA standards to avoid problems, and not try to push any limits with tools and liquid amounts etc. Thanks for the links, Divinggal.

Back
Top Bottom