Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisher

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good travel BC? I need something light that can fold up really well to fit in a carryon.

If you do a search, there are threads on travel BCs. I recently bought a Zeagle Express as a travel BC, and it is indeed compact and lightweight. But there are certainly quite a few other options out there.

There's the ScubaPro Geo: GEO - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

ScubaPro also has the Equator. While it will not fold down to as small a package as the Geo, it does have a soft backpack that will allow it pack much tighter than a standard BC and it is weight-integrated. EQUATOR - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

SP also has the LiteHawk coming out. It is a travel version of the SeaHawk, but is not weight-integrated. LITEHAWK - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

Another travel BC you may consider is the AquaLung Zuma. Like the Geo, it folds down into a very compact package; but unlike the Geo, it's weight-integrated. Zuma

I like BP/w for travel. I paid $250 for wing, bp and harness and works well and travels well.

What's your opinion of the Zeagle?

If you'd do a search on here for Zeagle Express, you can find several threads in which it is discussed. I have posted about it. Basically, I said that it fills the need I had for a BC that I could put in a backpack and lug around Southeast Asia for a month, but I didn't find it as comfortable or easy to use as a more traditional BC. Others have said they love it, though. Differing opinions on ScubaBoard. Go figure.

There is also the Mares Icon which they market as their travel BCD.

I personally have the Mares Pegasus which is very similar in the Icon. It's a very simple BCD but it's does the job perfectly. If you are looking for a back inflation BCD, then you should consider these.

If you'd do a search on here for Zeagle Express, you can find several threads in which it is discussed. I have posted about it. Basically, I said that it fills the need I had for a BC that I could put in a backpack and lug around Southeast Asia for a month, but I didn't find it as comfortable or easy to use as a more traditional BC. Others have said they love it, though. Differing opinions on ScubaBoard. Go figure.

I'm just curious...

Were you previously a backplate and wing diver?

Did you have the pad kit installed?

The reason I ask this is, I am NOT a backplate and wing guy, and generally dive the Stiletto BC for most of my dives.

I took the Express Tech to Grand Cayman and dove it with and without the pad kit. I liked it a lot better WITH the pads in it. Plain and simple - it was more comfortable.

I think people who are used to the backplate webbing like it better without, because it is basically the same thing - just lighter and more compact.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, I just had my first 6 dives or 6 first dives with the express tech and loved the simplicity.I changed around the equipment placement and weighting to get a better underwater attitude each dive. No complaints here. I will need to get more experience with the surface position because this was the first OW dive with this style BC. I had the pads on for these dives and I will try removing the sholder pads next time. It packs well, but I think that if I can get rid of the shoulder pads it will be even better. Thanks for the great product.OND

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good travel BC? I need something light that can fold up really well to fit in a carryon.
I have a DiveRite TransPac. I've used it for years, especially for travel, and I really like it. I use it on warm-water liveaboards (I see more and more T'Pacs out there) as well as on cold-water drysuit dives.

I removed all the extra pads and liners and trim that it comes with, to make it more of a simple harness, but if you tend to dive warm water without any neoprene then perhaps the shoulder and back pads serve a purpose. It has no hard tank cradle (neither do the new AL and SP travel BCs), just two tank straps.

You can choose the wing size (lift capacity) you want since the bladder is separate from the harness. And the whole thing breaks down in under a minute, including removing the plastic air bladder from its fabric covering. That lets you rinse and dry the whole thing in record time.

-Bryan

Back
Top Bottom