Travel Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah P-Cod, for trips that are Be there or lose it, like a liveaboard, a non-refundable package like SB's Cozumel Invasion, etc. - Trip Insurance is very wise. So many things can stop you from making it, like a severe home problem, family problem, your own health, etc.

For my August trip to Cozumel, I probably won't insure the plane ticket since I can use the residual credit later if I have to cancel, and I may not need to really insure the hotel - depending on how I book it? I think I am going to book air & hotel together in a package and the cancellation penalties may or may not be severe? I just haven't got that far yet, but then - I will buy trip insurance for out of system medical coverage, hurricane evacuation needs, and there other benefits are nice when I am delayed, etc. International plane tickets have lower airline liabilities, and many of them exclude scuba gear in ways. :eek:

But when I check Trip Ins rates at my favorite site, using the middle plan I prefer: $500 coverage is $77 vs $1,000 coverage is $5 more - duh, cover both! If I happen to have to cancel for a covered reason, the company will actually pay well - but the airline will still let me have the residual credit, and the hotel maybe so too. I never buy insurance from the airline, hotel, or packaged provider as it's overpriced for less coverage usually.

Funny how Orbitz prices Air & Hotel Cozumel for that week...!
  • Air, hotel, $50 credit: $970
  • Air, hotel, All Inclusive: $5.46 less :silly:
  • Air, larger room with ocean view, $50 credit: $125 more
  • Air, larger room with ocean view, All inclusive: only $95 more :idk:

No, the food is not great, but it's okay for less money. :crafty:

Hi SB, I know this is a late post to this topic, but we had a couple of mishaps I feel compelled to share. Two years ago while diving in Cozumel, I had a dive accident. DAN was awesome! Phone calls, referrals, help with coordination with our Blue Cross stateside primary insurance. $3000.00 in medical,hospital bills paid. I am fine btw. 100% recovery. Mexico hospitals were just fine. Not as fancy or new, but I am happy at the medical care. DAN/ BC. Would have covered medical flight to Miami if it was needed.

So last year we booked an inland passage cruise on a small cruise boat 66 passengers max. Paid for the cruise and flights. Husband had his pruning ladder roll from under him and he broke his leg very bad. We were out all that money. The ER mentioned our credit card might cover the canceled trip and it did. But what a pain. You never know what life throws at you. Trip insurance, oh yeh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom