Travel/packing friendly wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a mach v 30lb with their ultralite plate. I put the wing in an old pillowcase and i put the plate with my steel buckle cam bands and all the gear I hang off my plate in another pillowcase and pack both of them in my checked bag with clothing, accessories, batteries and chargers, boots, fins and spare mask and easily get in under the 50lb limit with suitcase.

When we used to be able to carry on a small rolling case, small duffel bag and small backpack, I used to be able to take everything on the plane with me... but that was back in the days when I took pics using a nikonis and 105 strobe and extension tubes. :)

I have no issues packing my scubapro or hog singles or doubles wings. But then, I don't have any issues packing in general (and sort of always wonder why others struggle so much). I can schlep full tech kit with drysuit and a spare everything and still be under 50# in a duffel bag...

I've also been able to pack a full single tank and doubles set up (3 reg sets, 2 wings) and come in easily under the weight limit, but I'm used to traveling pretty light. I think oxycheq used to make (maybe still does) a lighter weight wing. If not, the DR travel wing is pretty easy to roll up, and the DSS 20 lb wing is very compact as well. I have the mach V 18 lb wing, and it's pretty hefty for such a small wing. I love diving with it though, and I would never call it 'bulky' to pack.

Thanks for the response. For my next vacation, I borrow a Halcyon 30lb wing to give a try. I want to see if the difference between the H30 and Oxycheq 40 is enough before I will decide what to get later.

Again, the main concern is packing. I do not necessary need to fold the wing, just easy for packing. Oxy 40lb shell is kind of stiff, hard to fold. And its cut doesn't allow it pack flat. It won't go into a 22" carry on roller case. It was the only reason I carried a full size suit case on my last trip (and the suit case ended up half empty)

I think DR travel wing is another options. As for DSS, I like it a lot but I also want to be able to use STA.

I have the DSS 20lb. The streamline design is fun to dive and it doesn't occupy much room in a suitcase.
It's not a crime to cut the rubber tank stabilizers off if you have a plate with no band slots.
Nor is it difficult to just thread the DSS straps through your BP if you do have slots.

But I think the Halcyon 30lb Eclipse feels more stable to dive.
If the cost is too much, then you can try combing the board classifieds for a good deal on a used wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom