Travel Wing with Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air seems to be trapped in the Zeagle Ranger BC. I have been diving over weighted to try to componsate. It seems that if air is trapped down low in the BC it is not that bothersome, but if I roll and let that air get high I take off. I just can not get all of the air out of this piece of crap BC. I have been diving 20 years with an old Tusa Expert. I have never had troubles with boyuncy control and could always wear very little weight, until I got this Zeagle Ranger. And yes I hate it.

One more note. I always used a weight belt with my weights very forward or in the middle of my stomach. The Ranger is the first intergrated weight system I have used. I did put a 3lb hard weight threaded on the tank strap for some trim control. It beat the high prices of some of the weight systems sold for trim. It did help some. i still plan to wear a weight belt with the Transpac along with the harness mounted weights ( 2Lbs. each side) for stability. I am also thinking to turn my weight belt buckle off center to allow my 8lbs of weight to be directly dead center of my gut. I know not kosher, but more comfortable.

And a BIG SORRY to Dive Rite for creating such a stir. Now I do plan to get the Transpac with the newer Nylon Travel wings, install the trim weights, wear a belt, and take my chances.

p.s. feel like I am regressing to an old back pack, horse collar, and putting my weight belt on last like when I got certified by NAUI. PADI and SSIS where not around. Only NAUI and YMCA.

I can't understand why a company rep. would say the lift was insufficient for warm water diving with no wetsuit. The REAL problem is cold water diving where you have suit compression to deal with? Without suit compression. the BC is essenetially only needed for compensation of bouyancy change associated with emptying the tank.....That is maybe, what, 8 lbs for a big steel tank?...

I would want more than 30 lbs of lift with a 7mm suit and a steel tank.

I can't understand why a company rep. would say the lift was insufficient for warm water diving with no wetsuit. The REAL problem is cold water diving where you have suit compression to deal with? Without suit compression. the BC is essenetially only needed for compensation of bouyancy change associated with emptying the tank.....That is maybe, what, 8 lbs for a big steel tank?...

I would want more than 30 lbs of lift with a 7mm suit and a steel tank.

Well I dive a 26lb wing to 40mts or so in a 7mm suit using a steel 100cf all the time. It's not even close to being on the edge. That's with a 6lb BP & 6lb of lead. I'm a little overweighed, but I'm too cheap to move from my 3lb weights

Hey Craig,

No worries...it's a good question and based on other divers experiences if the Travel will work for what you want to do, then great news!

As to why we do not recommend anything larger than a steel 95 with the Travel wing is because it is not designed for larger/heavier tanks. The total effect of weighting on wing lift in the water has to do with displacement, rather than weight of the tank and your pocket weights alone. The water displacement caused by the diver makes a big difference. Some divers are naturally buoyant, others are naturally sinkers. Some divers have their own buoyancy built-in :D while others are trim and do not sport much "buoyancy". Exposure protection and lack thereof also makes a difference as do other elements of gear.

Finally, some divers like to have a lot of lift when at the surface to keep their heads above water, while others will trade that lift for a streamlined rig. Lots of parameters and not an easy answer to give generically.

Therefore, to give the best answer to the majority of divers, we recommend a limit of Steel 95 single for the Travel. Of course, if it works for you and others with larger tanks, that's great to hear and certainly many of our products are customized by our consumers!

Glad you got the answers you needed from your fellow divers!
Kathleen

And a BIG SORRY to Dive Rite for creating such a stir. Now I do plan to get the Transpac with the newer Nylon Travel wings, install the trim weights, wear a belt, and take my chances.

p.s. feel like I am regressing to an old back pack, horse collar, and putting my weight belt on last like when I got certified by NAUI. PADI and SSIS where not around. Only NAUI and YMCA.

Craig, I dive the Travel Wing, with a steel HP 100... *Plenty* of lift... (and I'm the opposite of naturally buoyant).

Back
Top Bottom