travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thumper- 1st, I hope you're cave certified. I won't say anything after that

Ahh haha, actually I'm not. I packed up and moved to St Thomas when I wanted to dive. And now I'm gonna pack up and move to FL/GA when I want to cave dive. If you're gonna do something might as well do it right, and that means often! I've done my homework, been in wrecks, done one cave (no lectures please, perception of things have changed). First time I heard about caves with water, my immediate awe-struck reaction was where and how.

One more annoying question. Wrecks in salt water, you go to the Gulf or Ocean or both sides about the same. I know I'm greedy, I want to dive it all!! Anything with water will do.

Kaffphine once bubbled...

Ahh haha, actually I'm not. I packed up and moved to St Thomas when I wanted to dive. And now I'm gonna pack up and move to FL/GA when I want to cave dive. If you're gonna do something might as well do it right, and that means often! I've done my homework, been in wrecks, done one cave (no lectures please, perception of things have changed). First time I heard about caves with water, my immediate awe-struck reaction was where and how.

One more annoying question. Wrecks in salt water, you go to the Gulf or Ocean or both sides about the same. I know I'm greedy, I want to dive it all!! Anything with water will do.

No lecture.... I've heard enough of them myself. That's why I'm getting certified. Bill is a super guy & his staff is very good as well.

As far as wrecks. I have only done a few, but the ones I've done are on the east coast. Jax, S Fl. & the Keys. If you have done the Speigel Grove.... That should be your next stop. If you want to see what it's like, check my web link under my name. Hope to see ya in the limestone.

It sounds like I did what you are thinking of doing. I move to Gainesville so I could cave dive daily. UF is a good school, depending on what you are majoring in.
What's your major?
The big schools are www.ufl.edu in Gainesville and www.fsu.edu in Tallahassee.
The drive from G-ville to Ginnie is about 35 minutes. There are several nice caves within 20 minutes of NW Gainesville. In Tallahassee, your choices are limited, unless you join the WKPP.
Feel free to P.M. me if you have any questions about UF or the area diving.
Cheers

I agree with divesherpa and thethumper, FSU and UF are right in the middle. I live in Jacksonville and most of them are only 2 hours from me. The schools aren't as good here. We have U of north Florida and Jacksonville University (kind of limited). The Blue Grotto is only 20 minutes from Gainesville. Pretty much all of the cavern dives and for that matter all types of diving in Florida can be done on a day trip for the most part.

That's very cool that you are moving to a dive location to go to school.

See ya at the bottom
Wreck Ranger

Tallahassee is about an hour from Luraville or an hour from Marianna. Gainsville is very close to Ginnie about 45min from Luraville.

If you're planning on Cave and Open Water diving Gainseville would definitely be better as it's much closer to the better open water of the SE FL coast and Keys.

UCF would be good too but farther from all of the caves and closer to O/W.

DSAO!!

If you are looking for a drive that is close enough for weekend trips, then you could go to Georgia Tech if you wanted. I make weekend trips all the time, and it only takes me 4 hours from Atlanta to get to the caves.

But like others have said, if you want to be as close as possible, it looks like you will become a Florida Gator.

If you want smaller schools, you can check out Georgia Southern, or Valdosta, both within an hour of Luraville.

Hey James,
I went to Ga Southern and it's more than an hour from Luraville, It's almost closer to drive from Atlanta.
Valdosta is not a very good school, unfortunately.

Have fun during your last trip?

Really, GA Southern is that far. I had a friend that said he could make it to Caldosta in an hour from there. Of course, he was probably doing about 100+.

As for Valdosta, it may not be a great school, but what is more important, cave diving or an education! LOL! :wink:

As for the last trip, it was two weeks ago for the TDI seminar. I had a lot of fun. I only got 2 dives in, but that is better than none. I am going again next weekend. Can't wait.

JamesK once bubbled...
If you are looking for a drive that is close enough for weekend trips, then you could go to Georgia Tech if you wanted. I make weekend trips all the time, and it only takes me 4 hours from Atlanta to get to the caves

Ohh god no, don't advise anymore people to move to Atl. James! :wink:

Actually if/when I get the chance I'm moving my arse down to FL!!!

The drive down nearly EVERY weekend is killing me!! You people who can dive during the week are very, very lucky!!!!!

DSAO!!

WYDT once bubbled...

You people who can dive during the week are very, very lucky!!!!!

DSAO!!

Luck has absolutely nothing to do with being able to dive at night. I'm going tonight and it's because I made it an option.

Remember, you get nothing without sacrifice:D

Cheers,
Sherpa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom