Traveling with a dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talking about security and reasoning reminds me of when I was younger....you think your knife being questioned is bad Tavi....I was only about 5!

My mum and dad had brought be a toy gun in Spain and I didnt want to open it till I got home so I could show my friends...dont ask me why...i was a strang child and i liked to keep packaging!!

Anyway, it was packed in my hand luggage as we were leaving to head back to the UK and the security men with big guns stopped me...not my parents but me...and asked ME to empty my bag...how scared was I!!!!!

When I pulled out my toy gun in packaging they forced me then and there to open it - I cried my eyes out. They said they thought it was a real gun!

Anyway, security and customs in airports try to look important but they rarely do there jobs! They pick on the innocent and let the guilty walk through!

Let's face it, the whole security thing is a big waste of time. If someone really wants to do harm to someone else, which I include with hijacking the airplane, they are going to find a way, and that way will either glide through security, or never see security.

On a less serious note, does a serrated edge cover the steak knife that you get with you "marvelous" inflight meal? Or is that under 'special serrated section of the knives on flights manual, page 456, section 23 paragraph 6?

Red tape...just another job creation method, and a headache.

"Airline steak knives are exempt from all security matters as they will not cut through the piece of leather (meat) which you are served with the meal, so any other safety consideration would be considered moot."

Thought you'd like to know

ID

Originally posted by ScubaBaby

Anyway, security and customs in airports try to look important but they rarely do there jobs! They pick on the innocent and let the guilty walk through! [/B]

Yes I agree, I also think most of "the Security" is just to make the passengers feel safer.

One of my co-workers took a trip to California last year with his wife and mother inlaw. They flew, When they arrived at her sons home in Cal. the Mother inlaw told her son "I brought you something". She removed a 45 auto from her purse!!!!!!!!! My co-worker couldn't believe she would even try that, [red]BUT[/red] how did that go through the security check if these people are doing their job?

For those who may be wondering. This co-worker is not one to tell stories or lie. He's a good and Honest man.

Tavi

There are places in the carribean that will not allow you to put anything sharp in CHECKED or carry on luggage. Bonaire will confisacate all such items, including fingernatil files, sissors, safety raisors, dive knives, screwdrives, equipt repair kits. Remember the smaller iter-island planes actually have access to the luggage compartment and that is the reason they are using to strip all of the sharp items from all baggage.(and of course it is blamed on the FAA requirements). The good news is you can get it there, the bad news is it will stay or you will have to ship it home separately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom