travelling with dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a pretty ghetto canister light that I've flown with a few times now. It's a stock Dive Rite Wreck Canister and HID light, but I have 3 3-cell LiPo packs from my R/C Plane hobby that I'm running in parallel to get like 6+ hr burn time....so inside this canister, I've got a bundle of wires to allow for running the cells in parallel, all the cells have an additional tab on them for balancing the cells, and I custom-soldered all of the connections. That, coupled with the fact it's a canister lighty (pretty atypical) got a lot of weird looks through security. With it being HID, I was afraid to flick it on for proof that it was a light. However, after a brief couple questions and an explanation the TSA guys asked more about cave diving than the light itself. I had the batteries installed, but not plugged in, and I had the assembly in my carry-on.

This issue of loose or installed is regularly an issue. After being detected on the scanner I have often been asked to demonstrate that the light is actually a dive light and doesn't have something else inside, ie I have to turn it on. So what I've done is prepare plastic discs that I leave inside my lights to isolate the battery terminals for safety. The battery stays inside the light and if I have to demonstrate the light I just remove the disc. So far every inspector I've come across has been quite happy with this arrangement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom