Triathlon wetsuit for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are basically two types of neoprene (in very general terms); surface neoprene and submersible neoprene. The surface stuff is less dense, so it is thick (for it's insulation level), floaty and more flexible. Which is all great for a tri, surf or paddling suit. The submersible neoprene is more dense, so it resits crushing at depth better and more importantly can bounce back to it's original thickness more times. Some of the greatest advancements in diving technology lately is in wet suit material so the difference between the two isn't as dramatic as it used to be.

It really comes down to the fact that diving in a tri-suit will kill the it very quickly. Using one once or twice in a pinch would probably be fine, but I wouldn't purchase one for it.

My favorite suits are freediving specific suits. They usually are skin-in or open cell inside, so they have excellent flexibility, the two piece nature of them makes for good insulation in the core, they survive repeated crushing from pressure, and they can be cheaper than all but the crappiest dive suits. Mares makes one that is a reversible skin-in so you can wear it nylon out for the majority of the time, but wear it skin out if you need the decreased drag for freediving. A good place to look for a freedving suit is Hana Paa out of Hawaii, they have a decent selection of high and low end suits, but all of good quality. You could look at spearboard for loads of suit recommendations though...

- Chris

I own 2 diving suits for diving, one swimming suit for swimming, and one surfing suit for surfing.

They all fit differently and are designed for a specific type of activity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom