Triggerfish Attack Head Count

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
Gotta love and respect the tenacity of something relatively small going after something as big and dangerous as a diver! I wonder if we'd go after a 16'+ shark with that kind of tenacity. Then again, I'm hungry! What's for dinner? Can I get that blackened?

I've had a 2" clown fish attach itself to a hair on my arm and shake violently for a full minute, like a tiny pit bull.

As well as the humor of it, I must admit, I sure did come to like the little guy.

Scubakevdm:
Triggers are bad out here if you're in the sand. Like a swarm of little Mike Tysons coming after the tops of your ears. Evil, but tasty.

They use to have a trigger fish at Newport Aquarium in Newport Kentucky across the Ohio from Cincinnati. My buddy and I were volunteer divers there when they first opened. This stupid fish would regularly attack us and was quite crafty and devious....he'd swim the surface and dive bomb you while you were on the bottom cleaning...and this was in the shark tank! You would have to have a safety diver for the trigger fish more than the sharks as they didn't pay any attention to you. My buddy had blood drawn on his temple....complete with teeth marks. Another diver had a nip taken out of his ear.....after that the staff named him "Tyson". He's gone now....now sure whether they got rid of him or if he just gave up the ghost.

doole:
I've had a 2" clown fish attach itself to a hair on my arm and shake violently for a full minute, like a tiny pit bull.

As well as the humor of it, I must admit, I sure did come to like the little guy.

This is friggin hilarious! I didn't think Nemo had it in him!

This whole thread makes me rethink the photos I took of the triggerfish on the last vacation. Great thread is was worth the laugh.

Bruce

FredT:
Triggers are highly edible with a delicate lightly flavored meat similar to most of the wrasse family. they are just a bit of a PITA to peel. :grin: A 12 to 16" trigger has two very nice boneless sandwiches on it, Plus the throat and cheeks are good if you are willing to put in the effort to peel the meat out of them.

FT
Some of the trigger fishes perform a community service to divers - they feed on crown of thorns.

:eek:ctopus:

MoonWrasse:
Some of the trigger fishes perform a community service to divers - they feed on crown of thorns.

:eek:ctopus:

I'm sure there are many community-minded triggerfish out there preforming well intentioned civic duties and reef maintenance.

Don’t ever fall for this treacherous double-act.

Triggerfish are evil, vicious finned spawn of the devil. Scaled vermin. As you ooh and ah over their cute antics they watch you with their cruel eyes and cold heart, waiting for an opportune moment to tear you to shreds with their vicious beaks.

The only good triggerfish is a dead triggerfish. The soon all these little reef piranhas end up on a plate the sooner our oceans will be safe. :wink:

(And yes – I have been attacked. Can you tell?) :wink: :wink:

Cheers,
Rohan.

hehehehehehehehe, I was out with Scuba_Jenny and some another guy (sorry I can't remember his name, visisting Conch) when one of those nasty little buggers took a strong interest in me. I tried to kick it and "shooo" it away. It took forever for me to make it leave me alone, actually I can't take the credit for making it leave, that goes to Jenny. Whatever she washed her hair with must have been a Tigger Magnet... :laughing: I did all I could do to keep from drowning from laughing so hard as I watched this foot and a half long fish pluck at Jenny's head. Way funnier when it was happening to her and not me. I thought for certain that fish was going to bite her face as Jenny decided to give it the Ol' stare down contest. That damn fish came right up to her mask and the freak (Jenny) just sat there and watched, looked like a game of chicken. I watched as the trigger fish tapped on the glass of her mask. Too funny. Absolutely fearless......, the fish was too :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom