Triggerfish Attack Head Count

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titan tiriggers are really a pain in the neck to divers in Asia,(correct me if i'm wrong)...instead of diving, we have to constantly look over our backs to see if any of the buggers are lurking around...those unlucky ones come away with some bite marks on the fins, while those very unlucky ones(those who's luck really hit rock bottom) come away with varying degrees of injuries(again correct me if i'm wrong)...

Let me see... I have been charged and bitten by Titans a total of 4 times: lost a chuck of my fin in Similan Islands, a piece of my wet suit in a separate dive in that area, once in Tioman (manage to swim out before it caused any damage) and whacked one with my camera in Puerto Galera when it charged right at my head. Lesson learned, when u see a titan, just swim away..FAST.

3 Times

First time I saw one coming while I was looking through my viewfinder. He hit my strobe. Second time one bit in my fin while I had my back to him and I was teaching an OW. Third time I got bitten on the back of my head, I never saw it coming.

I stay far away from the moment I spot a nervous one. Allthough it is nice sometimes to flirt with them and see how close you can get before they charge :)

Today my dive buddy was under asault from a trigger.
When the assult finally broke off it went for me.

Particularly nasty as I dive without a wet suit here in Malaysia.

I am told by locals that my 45 degree ascent away from the onslaught was mistaken.
(Believe me it was not by design). The teritorty they defend is aparently an inverted cone. Thus the best withdrawal is horizontally or even increasing in depth.

Further trigger assault is held to be a common nuisance here.

Otherwise a great dive with a couple of lion fish photos a fat moray and one black tip shark.

Jim

I was snorkelling today off of Boynton Beach, FL and a a few triggerfish were in the area. I was minding my own business when I felt pain and one of the triggers had bit my hand! It hurt and the cute little guy drew blood! It's funny - the ones that LOOK scary are friendly and the cute ones ... ouch!

Me too. Nobody believed me. Titan kept going for my right ear, in Palau.

It was the day I learned the fin kick that rotates you when vertical. And the day I stopped carrying my knife on my leg. <g>

My buddy was highly amused.

ya'll know I love to illustrate...

poor John, you can see the little jaw marks. and his friends were laughing. It kept coming back for more....Corsair. Somebody said maybe nesting?

DSCF0039.jpg

the key is to wear wetsuit. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom