Trim issues with steel 12l twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, thanks for all the tips. DM_Tom, I'll definitely look at diving dry at some point in the not-too-distant future. It's just a question of money, as always!

Rivers, yep, point taken - switching mid-course probably wasn't the smartest thing to do but I wasn't anticipating such a difference between the soft harness and a backplate. In any case, I'll try this weekend to shuffle the BP/W around and see if I can get it to work on the first dive. If not, I'll switch back to my HTS2. I may well try ScoobaChef's idea (cheers for that one mate) of attaching a trim weight to the bottom of the plate to keep a bit of weight on my bum. We'll see how it all works out...

At some point in the future, I know I'm going to have to take GUE-F to get all these things sorted out, but like everything else, it's always a question of time and money!

If I were you, I'd go back to your original bit of kit that you already have set up. You will get more out of the course if you stop messing with your new kit, trying to get it configured, etc and just go back to what you know is already set-up properly. Pass your course first, then do some nice, easy shallow dives on the new kit, getting it dialed in, etc. and You should already have your buoyancy and trim sorted by fundies. Fundies is about keeping your buoyancy and trim in check while you have an ever increasing task load and working together as a team.

Oh. One more adjustment for backmount doubles. If you're head heavy, you can also loosen the shoulder straps and shorten the crotch strap. This has the effect of moving the tanks lower on your back, which should help with the issue. This may make it a little more difficult to reach your valves though, so you'll have to test it out. Best to get in some shallow water and start monkeying around.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I made it through the course and adjusted the height of my BW/W relative to the tanks. Luckily we did an extra hour long dive in the shallows before hitting the deeper dives so I was able to figure my trim and buoyancy out pretty well. It was an intense couple of days, but definitely the best diving course I've taken so far. Now to save enough money for my own twins, stages, multiple regs etc. I've definitely been bitten by the bug - shame I'm going to have to choose between diving and eating!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom