Trim problem: foot heavy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was challenged with the same problem for years. Tried all of the suggestions above, (all very good ) ....better but still not what I wanted. Changed to a steel backplate, problem solved, for this body anyway. As stated above, next was removing feet.

Dive more.

You problem may evaporate with more experience. New or different gear is not always the solution.

Dive more.

If you are working on buoyancy in the pool, first check to see if there is air in your bc. You can reach along your shoulders and feel for it. If there is, you are probably overweighted. Take weight off and keep working to relax and just feel yourself float. Try this before you go to any measures of changing gear. Air goes to the top of your shoulders and weight at your waist tries to turn you vertical.

We see this all the time with tourist divers here. The air is at their shoulders, feet dragging bottom. I think the guides prefer it this way as they don't have to chase people up who may lose their buoyancy.

There have already been many good suggestions in this thread:

Body position - position and weight of arms/legs/head makes a big difference in trim.

Weight distribution - you may want to experiment with moving some weight higher in your system

Different Equipment - A Backplate/Wing will offer more options for distribution of weight and will help your body into the trim position.

GUE Fundies class - GUE instructors are experts at helping divers perfect trim GUE Instructors | Global Underwater Explorers

I dive XL Jet fins which are heavy, and have no issue holding trim.

Not to resurrect an old thread, but this may still be of interest to some divers.

We have been working on this problem for some time and have come up with the following solution.

One of the advantages of this system is that it not helps with horizontal trim at depth, but also helps with the face in the water problem on the surface with some BCDs, most notably back inflates and backplates and wings. Because the leverage point is so far forward, not much weight is needed.

Amazon.com: Scuba Diving Regulator Yoke / Tank Weight System

yokeweight.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom