Back inflate bcd tilting to the side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @LuckyLuke

When the Scubapro Hydros Pro was first released, it had a similar problem where the bungees that secured the wing slid back and forth, leading to uneven gas distribution as illustrated in your photo. Eventually, they secured the bungee, preventing the sliding. Perhaps you can find an easy way to secure the straps that control your wing. It seems like a design defect, maybe Apeks will help you.

The Hydros Pro problem is mentioned here, there is probably additional discussion elsewhere in this long thread

Good luck
I believe attaching the bottom bungee (as did the SP solve their problem) is a possible diy bolt on solution.

I can make a stainless steel platen which would go betwen the two aluminium pieces that hold the tank - the bottom bungee would be fixed in that position, limiting the stretch, without the risk of loose tank or damaging the blader.

Is this something to consider doing at this point in time, or should I wait to see what happens with my weight troubleshooting?

My dives tommorow were blown away by thunderstorms and country wide alerts, so I could use the time in the harage to make the spacer...

Unfortunately, they do slide back and forth, and it maybe even possible to shorten them up with some gentle diy. Honestly, I would get rid of the used error first, and then gor for this type of adjustments...
It's an easy fix, not to worry. Drill a hole through the plate, burn a hole through the webbing, and use one of those flat stainless bolt things to hold it. Might as well replace the stretchy stuff with webbing, and put slider buckles on there for adjustment.

I believe attaching the bottom bungee (as did the SP solve their problem) is a possible diy bolt on solution.

I can make a stainless steel platen which would go betwen the two aluminium pieces that hold the tank - the bottom bungee would be fixed in that position, limiting the stretch, without the risk of loose tank or damaging the blader.

Is this something to consider doing at this point in time, or should I wait to see what happens with my weight troubleshooting?

My dives tommorow were blown away by thunderstorms and country wide alerts, so I could use the time in the harage to make the spacer...
If you get the weight sorted out you'll have little to no air in the wing to try and control. Everything becomes easier once the weight is minimal and little air in the wing. My goal is to never have any air in the wing, is that possible depends on exposure protect but that is my goal.

I did not read all the replies but have two suggestions. I have an AL Rogue that is back-inflate. First if the shoulder straps are a little loose, my BCD will shift a little and then I rotate. I'm not overweighted and generally have no air in my BCD when submerged. Also, I recently added a crotch strap for DPV use and it makes bouyancy/positioning bulletproof. There is no way for my BCD to budge. The strap adds another point to deal with when taking off the BCD but I am keeping it for all use.

when I'm leading a dive, I find my self rolling alot to keep my eyes on my group. Often the air in the bladder tends to shift to one side.
Alot of time I'll do is lean forward a bit or just lift my hip higher to let that air go through the bottom so it's even in both side. some time I'll even pull on the bottom coner of the bladder to help the air to gets to the other side of the bladder.
and also if you have a STA (single tank adaptor) tank sits higher on your back, it's more sensitive to roll to one side.
maybe try to adjust the weights on your belt towards the front more, that way more weight are close to the bottom, similar as a ballast weight on a ship.

Never once have I gotten a new rig that needed zero modification to work the way I want it to. Don't worry about drilling holes in the plate or replacing straps, it's normal.

Never once have I gotten a new rig that needed zero modification to work the way I want it to. Don't worry about drilling holes in the plate or replacing straps, it's normal.
I did some digging around the bcd, to see what can be done. I am no expert, but I presume the webing should streamline the blader and also help with air distribution.

As I can tell, the lower elastic strap is pretty loose when there is no air in the bcd. That is not normal, is it?

As I see it, I need a bunch of air in it for the elastic to even start to pull, but at that point, the air is already on the left side...

Attachments

• 20230807_165946.jpg
    20230807_165946.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230807_170009.jpg
    20230807_170009.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 44
As I can tell, the lower elastic strap is pretty loose when there is no air in the bcd. That is not normal, is it?
I'm not sure if that's normal or not for that BC, but it definitely doesn't sound optimal. I would expect the elastic strap to be at least taut (but not stretched) when deflated.

My BC uses bungee threaded between BC harness and bladder at several points. It also has an added clip to further secure.

Being as loose as those pictures show doesn't seem right to me.

I did some digging around the bcd, to see what can be done. I am no expert, but I presume the webing should streamline the blader and also help with air distribution.

As I see it, I need a bunch of air in it for the elastic to even start to pull, but at that point, the air is already on the left side...
I would just get some regular webbing and secure it to the plate like I described above, you really just want to stop it from flapping around and shifting. I think what happens is the inflator is adding gas on the left side, and because the wing isn't secured, it just goes straight up. Once you get your weighting dialed in, the wing probably won't have much gas in it. You've got this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom