Back inflate bcd tilting to the side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On your cam band trim pockets are they slid all the way forward so they are as close to your back as possible?

Maybe this will help - its at 5m depth towards the end of the dive, and the left side of the wing is clearly inflated, and the right is not...
1690981584798.png

Hey guys, could water in the bladder cause this? I know I wash taught to rinse the BCD bladder at the end of the day. If too much water is left in there, could that obstruct gas flow between sides? Or would that just get pushed out after the first inflation and dump of air?

a good review of this system. Love the colors so I’m just guessing but the issue you are having may be more of a learning curve and you may have to much weight which makes for to much air to fight with.

That seems like quite a lot of air to maintain neutral buoyancy at a safety stop. When I do a stop, I have to practically reach back with my hands and push out any remaining air and the thing is essentially empty and flat. And at that point, the only way I'm going down, I have to empty my lungs or swim down a few feet.

That seems like quite a lot of air to maintain neutral buoyancy at a safety stop. When I do a stop, I have to practically reach back with my hands and push out any remaining air and the thing is essentially empty and flat.
Agreed. Looks like a lot, which points to overweighting.

In the photo, it also looks like the bladder is attempting a pretty good taco. As all that air is at the highest point, it's got nowhere else to go. The image from the video shows some straps to prevent the bladder from going back around the tank. Are these present? Maybe tighten down a bit.

But, if that photo was at safety stop with a nearly empty tank, there is too much weight. Bladder should be empty or very nearly empty at that point.

Agreed. Looks like a lot, which points to overweighting.

In the photo, it also looks like the bladder is attempting a pretty good taco. As all that air is at the highest point, it's got nowhere else to go. The image from the video shows some straps to prevent the bladder from going back around the tank. Are these present? Maybe tighten down a bit.

But, if that photo was at safety stop with a nearly empty tank, there is too much weight. Bladder should be empty or very nearly empty at that point.
Yeah, if I was that inflated at a stop, I'd pop to the surface like a bobber.

When you're at the surface, and inflated, does the same thing happen, or only at depth and horizontal?

Straps are present, but due to the overinflation one side pulls the straps, which than pulls the bladder with no air with it.

Never tried this on the surface, but definitely will, solid point.

Besides to much weight I am certain I am doing something wrong😀

Hi @LuckyLuke

Based on the photo in post #22, you are significantly over weighted. A proper weight check is done at your safety stop with your cylinder down to near your reserve pressure. With an empty BC, you should be nearly neutral or just a touch negative in order to make a nice slow, controlled final ascent to the surface.

Your BC has 3 sets of places to store weight. The SureLock pouches on the front waist hold up to 9 kg total. There are 2 non-dump pockets on the waist, behind the SureLock pockets that hold up to 4.5 kg total. There are 2 more non-dump shoulder pockets that also hold up to 4.5 kg total.

First of all, find your proper weight. I would put all of it in the SureLock pouches or with just a little in the waist pockets if necessary. Once you find your proper weight, I would only shift some weight to the shoulder pockets if you trim is off and you are head high. Hopefully, that would take care of your rolling and the distribution of air in your BC.

I had a problem similar to yours when I tried diving an Aqua Lung Outlaw BC, only exaggerated, even with proper weighting. With this BC, the SureLock pockets are placed far back. With a thicker wetsuit and more weight, I always felt I was rolling back and forth. This was exacerbated by putting some of my weight in tank strap trim pockets.

Best of luck with your buoyancy and trim, let us know how you do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom