Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't beleive I have these tabs you speak of, I may have a different model

---------- Post added January 16th, 2015 at 03:24 PM ----------

the force fins tend to make you bicycle kick a little bit

I don't beleive I have these tabs you speak of, I may have a different model

---------- Post added January 16th, 2015 at 03:24 PM ----------

the force fins tend to make you bicycle kick a little bit

some fins are better than others for various things as speed, thrust and reducing effort, but no fin will make you bicycle kick.

I have never used force fins, but as I understand it they are pretty good fins.

I guess they don't MAKE you bicycle kick... but they are different than other fins, you "push" them and opposed to simply kicking. I can frog kick and back-kick if I need to.

Here the first photo shows the BP/wing setup as opposed to the transpac I used to use. The new setup is alot better.

Attachments

• fins.JPG
    fins.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 175
  • wetsuit2.jpg
    wetsuit2.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 171
I'll see if I can sink without the weights next time. I guess my concern is I won't be able to maintain my safety stop and become too bouyant at that point and drift up to the top.

no fins will make you bicycle kick, from Jet Fins to split fins, they are all the same, you control the kick, not the fin. If you have your arms by your side you will almost certainly be foot heavy. Cross your arms next time you're in the water, it will help.

First picture looks like your knees are a bit low. Arch your back a bit. When you're home tonight, lay on the floor face down with your lower legs up in diving position. Hands will be crossed with your hands under your chin. Arch your back so your forearms and thighs come off the floor. It's a weird position, but this is proper diving position. Get your body into that position in your rig and I wouldn't be surprised if you're saying in a month that you're light in the feet and trying to switch to jet fins so you can pull your feet down a bit.

I'll see if I can sink without the weights next time. I guess my concern is I won't be able to maintain my safety stop and become too bouyant at that point and drift up to the top.

what you might try is that instead of ditching the weights before your next dive, instead do the dive with the weights as you have them configured now. Do your safety stop, and finish the dive safely.

Then, get your tank down to about 500psi and drop down to 10 feet or so and see if you can stay there with no gas in your wing. If you descend, you could probably drop a little more weight, if you ascend, then you took out too much. It's OK to err on the side of being a little negative, 1 or 2 pounds heavy is not a big deal and you can always fine tune it further later on.

currently winter diving with AL80, SS plate . . . . I find I am foot-heavy. I can't move the tank up any farther without it hitting my head. Unless than a trim weight on the tank bank, are there any other options?
I have a 2/3 wetsuit with a 5mm hooded vest. The vest adds a lot of bouyancy it seems. Also I need less weight on my right side or I turtle to the right for some reason.
I am going to make a suggestion that might seem a bit at odds with the many suggestions that are being made in this thread. But, I really believe it is a 'better' approach than merely asking for help here.

Find someone - an experienced diver, an experienced Instructor, whomever - to get in the water with you. Perhaps, they can bring a video camera, and evaluate what you actually look like (not what you 'feel' like) in the water. Have them observe you when you achieve neutral buoyancy and stop ALL movement - no finning, no sculling, just let your body seek its natural position in the water, even if you are foot down or head down, even if you 'feel' you are foot down or head down, even if you are, or feel that you are, rotated 45 degrees to the right, or 60 degrees, whatever. Right now, we are offering advice on the basis of what you say you feel like, not what you actually look like - and please don't take that as a criticism, of you or anyone who has offered suggestions.

We can sit here and throw out lots of suggestions, and you can spend a lot of time chasing your tail while following them. But, it seems that - at a minimum - you need to conduct BOTH a proper weight check, and a proper evaluation of weight distribution, and have someone actually look at you while underwater. Frankly, from my armchair, I don't think you are 'foot heavy', I think you are 'torso light', with that 5mm vest. But, that's my opinion from afar. The better way to address the issue is by having someone observe you first hand, underwater, and work with you to tweak your configuration is several ways to figure out what works best.

You mention feeling that you need less weight on the right side. That could well be true, and there is no 'rule' that says you have to evenly distribute your weight on both sides, particularly if the weight in your rig is not symmetrical. The need for differential weight distribution could reflect the 'interesting' configuration you pictured in the other thread - with your computer clipped on your right side. Yes, something that presumably trivial could affect your lateral trim.

My recommendation is in no way a criticism - of you, or the other who have made a suggestion. Rather, I am always a bit concerned with supremely confident 'diagnosis from afar', whether I make that diagnosis or someone else does.

that's not trivial on the computer, that cobalt weighs a ton and the retractors aren't usually light either. The computer alone weighs over a pound, and the retractor probably brings it to total of 1.5lbs which is definitely enough to get you to list sideways.

Don't think your point is against any of us here, pictures speak a thousand words in scuba, videos speak a million. Even if it is just in a pool with you kicking across and then hovering at the wall, it will tell us more than you ever could. Unfortunately with the lack of experience and training you have, you aren't qualified to really know how it is supposed to "feel". It's nothing against you or your training, but it takes a long time to know when something "feels wrong" vs. is actually wrong. Most instructors and most cave divers won't notice small changes to their systems because they've been at it for so long their bodies just compensate to make it feel right, you're so new what you feel as foot heavy might not be. Very well might be because proper trim usually feels like you are going to faceplant, but having a picture or preferably short video would make this much better. Ideal situation is to do it at something like 20-30ft in OW or at the bottom of a dive well in your exposure protection with a full tank so we can see the wing and your body

Thanks. I was able to float with only 1 pound of external weight on my last dive yesterday, caught too lobsters. I'll try the video idea. I have the computer there on a reel and i always know exactly where it is. I suppose everyone does what they like

Mark-

It's wonderful that your "aware" of your perceived position in the water column. And that Venture should be the 30#. It IS slightly larger than needed. That being said..certainly not unmanagable.

Your very new to diving. I reiterate the discussion we had on the phone a few days ago. Just go DIVE. don't sweat perfection. Just dive. As you get "comfortable"...in the water, I suspect you will find less issues and more trim without working at it. Give it some time..just go dive and have fun!!

Andd congrats on your first catch!!

Kurt aka 1bubbleoff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom