Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks netdoc. I'll be in keylargo this saturday diving the speigel on a double dip and then two reef dives with boynton dive center ! maybe see you there !

I dunno lefty. It was attached to my wrist. They don't run a very tight ship where I got certified.

Hmm . . . I'm not sure if it matters where the cambands is on an Al80, as far as its effect on the diver. Having the strap further up the tank allows the butt of the tank to lift a bit more, but it's eventually going to be stopped, and at that point, the force is transmitted to the diver/BC/tank system. Having the band further down, or having two, simply means the tank won't be able to lift off the diver's back. But either way, the tendency of the tank to go butt-light will be transmitted to the diver.

Hmm . . . I'm not sure if it matters where the cambands is on an Al80, as far as its effect on the diver.
It's a matter of leverage. Levers are simple machines and while not fully appreciated, they affect our lives all the time. A lever requires a pivot in order to be effective. Think of the pivot being the lower and upper cambands. The greater the lever arm from the work, the greater effect the same force will have. FWIW, single band BCs often allow the tank to pivot within the BC, so the bubble effect is not transferred efficiently. The bubble butt effect created by an AL tank is small, but it's there. The further back you put the bubble the better it can lift your butt. It's simple physics. We think in dry terms of balance. Sliding weight one way or the other will shift our balance and that holds true both in and out of the water. The counter intuitive part comes in when we neglect that parts of us have become floaty once we are submerged due to Archimedes' Principle. When it comes to tanks, steels operate just as we would expect them to while AL tanks work in reverse. Now combine Archimedes Principle with the principle of leverage and you can help get your butt back where it belongs by putting the tank as far back as possible... that is, if you're butt heavy to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom