Trio diving teams - Insta Buddy - Thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gradual Ascent:
So here is the question: Have you ever refused a request to have a seemly novice insta-buddy join you, or your two people established diving team? And if so, why?
Yes. I am not a big fan of insta buddies. You just don't know if the 'buddy' is going to be a buddy. How will he/she react to a stressful situation, can/will they help if needed, does he/she know what to do?

There are too many variables and I have had instances where the dive was called so short. Nothing wrong with calling a dive if needed/ wanted..... but I get to sit out the rest of the time. I didn't come to do that.....

So I do not put myself in that situation, or put others in that situation.

Meng-Tze

You mention that you don't put yourself in that situatation, but I have had the DM ask if this single diver "insta-buddy" can join my team (of 2). You are sort of put on the spot with the single diver standing there, expecting to accepted. Do you just say .. "no thanks we prefer only to dive in a team of two, please find some other group to dive with?"

Basically yes.

"I dont feel comfortable diving with someone I do not know" (or something to that extend). There is nothing wrong with that. What would be worse is to be 'pushed' into something you do not feel comfortable with, especially diving.

IF (if being the operative word here) I would put myself in a situation where I am doing something I am not comfortable with (like preparing for a challenge dive), it will be on my terms, with my chosen buddies. Not 'assigned' a buddy I have no experience with.

But this is just me, by no means should you interpret this that insta buddies are bad... it is just not my thing. I dive with many new/less experienced divers. I know these people, know how they react and they know what I expect from them. It is not the experience level, it is the unknown of the person and how they react to situations.

When I decide to dive with 'new buddies', we do a check out dive first. Low challenge, easy dive to assess each others skills, mindset, dive planning and ability to stick to the plan. Only then do we move on to more challenging dives that are appropriate for the prevailing skills.

Other divers took me when I was the novice insta-buddy, so I try to accommodate the new diver insta-buddies when I can. No nightmares so far, and some nice experiences to show for it. I don't like threesomes for the reasons noted above by others, but will do it if I have to.

Bad attitude, strange bragging, or won't take well-meant advice, would be red flags for me. Hasn't happened yet. Just being a newbie is not by itself a red flag, in fact they've been some of my more rewarding dives. Get to the boat early, have a quiet chat with the captain or DM about what you're looking for in a pick-up buddy, and it usually seems to work out well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom