Trip Advisor - proof that there's something "askew" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you say Chicago, anywhere worldwide, the first thing anybody says is "Al Capone". The second thing they say is "pizza". (Tied with hot dog)
As someone who was born and raised in Europe, I don't associate Chicago with pizza at all. In fact, I don't associate anything American with pizza. But maybe I'm just the odd one out.

If you say Chicago, anywhere worldwide, the first thing anybody says is "Al Capone". The second thing they say is "pizza". (Tied with hot dog)

Hardly. . .

'da Bears
'da Bulls

You clearly don't get out enough :D

What I find most useful about TA is the "room hints" or whatever you want to call it. Sometimes a reviewer will give some good pointers about a particular room with a good view or maybe a room that is quiet because it's away from the bar or dive shop.

A few points:

1) DA BEARS, DA BEARS, DA BEARS, DA BEARS!!! :D
2) Born in Europe or not, Pizza originated in the good ol' US of A.
3) Point 2 is pretty much just a "fun fact" post, as the originators don't mean it's the best. I went to NYC and tried a slice from every local joint there was (including Lombardi's) and was not thrilled. I think Domino's was better than most of the places we went. Some of the small craft-pie places are better 10:1. Heck, even big craft-pie places like Mellow Mushroom I think have the edge on any NYC Pizza I tried. Maybe I went to the wrong places, and I'm sure NYC has some good craft-pie locations, but I didn't come across any.
4) Any place with reviews is going to be full of axe-grinding, unlevel-headed monsters ranting and raving about something. Scubaboard is the same way. The trick, as has been said before, is to read through the reviews and find what is and what isn't consistent and/or relevant. If someone complains that there's no on-site Gyno....you can write that guy off as a weirdo. If there are tons of good reviews, but you see 20 recent reviews saying they had a cheap room with an old TV, no phone, and a messed up bathroom....then maybe they're on to something. If you get a crappy room, you can find out that complaining. Where there's smoke, there's a wacko. Where there's lots of smoke, there might be a fire. Quantity is the root of all credibility in my book.

As someone who was born and raised in Europe, I don't associate Chicago with pizza at all. In fact, I don't associate anything American with pizza. But maybe I'm just the odd one out.

It could be mostly myth, but it's been said that if not for the huge influx of Italian immigrants to America at the end of the 19th century followed a few decades later by American soldiers returning from Italy after WWII with a taste for pizza, pizza would still be largely a food found only in Italy rather than the worldwide phenomenon it is today. To the extent this is true, the fanatical love for pizza was funneled through America to the rest of the world outside of Italy. I don't think this means that people all over the world associate Chicago with pizza, but I would be surprised if they don't associate America with pizza. I was under the impression that foreigners think all that Americans eat is pizza and hot dogs and hamburgers.

I was under the impression that foreigners think all that Americans eat is pizza and hot dogs and hamburgers.
You're right about that, but they don't see pizza as an American food. Hamburgers and hot dogs yes, but pizza is an Italian food. You'd be hard pressed to find a place that sells or serves any of the American pizza abominations, such as deep dish, something that I only ever knew from hearsay. Some tourist-heavy areas might have them, but that's an exception and not something that locals would ever consider.

What's funny is that hamburgers, hot dogs, and French fries are foreign....but pizza is american. I mean, you view foreign foods as american and am3rican food as foreign.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

What's funny is that hamburgers, hot dogs, and French fries are foreign....but pizza is american. I mean, you view foreign foods as american and am3rican food as foreign.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
Pizza isn't American. Hamburgers are American.

When I think of pizza I think of NY and Italy. Sure as heck wouldn't put Boston on the list, aside from the few places that channel NY or Italy... 3#, seriously?

Chicago pizza - ugh.

It's askew because everyone knows Lou Malnati's is the best. :wink:

It's odd that Phoenix made the top 10. Take away Pizzeria Bianco and the next best in town is Papa Johns. We had an UNO's here for a while but it was so bad that they closed - even though they were in the heart of the nightlife district near ASU.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom