Trip Report Trip report: 5/5-12 The Plaza Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
Just back from the 11th or 12th annual trip to Bonaire. We met a bunch of folks there way back and they pulled us into their little group. Good friends, really enjoy seeing and diving with them. So we do 2 tank boat dives with them in the am and shore dive on our own in the afternoons. Heavy winds, especially earlier in the week. Our first shore dive was to Bari reef. The current was ripping!! I was pretty tired to start and about 20-25 mins in I realized I was no longer making forward progress and called the dive. Less than 5 minutes back to the exit point! Two members of our group did an afternoon boat dive to Something Special and experienced the same thing. They blew through their air and had an even shorter dive. Luckily we did not experience that kind of current again that week. As a matter of fact one afternoon on Vista Blue there was virtually zero current! Never seen that before. Love that site. Did it twice during the week.

Was a good week for seahorses! A couple on Small Wall and I can't remember the site on Klein. Many folks got cold on the dives. I added a 3mm vest to my usual 3/2 full suit and was fine. My pdc reported 80F. DM's said they were cold as well. Caught one below with his bc off pulling on his full suit :wink:
Toucan Diving continues to get better every year. Hagan is officially the shop manager. The scubar is in full operation serving breakfast and lunch and full bar service. That is included in the Plaza all-inclusive. The boats are in great shape, equipment looks good and the DM's were great. They have plans for expansion including the locker room and wet suit drying area.

The Plaza also has some improvements with more on the way. The wifi was outstanding this year!!! Pretty much covered the entire complex and thoughput was excellent all day. New tv's in the rooms with a new cable system. Rooms were very clean as we are used to. The shower is the best on the planet. Tons of hot water and pressure with new shower heads. Beds are soft-ish. They plan to upgrade them. The grounds were well maintained with a lot of new landscaping. The Tipsy Seagull has improved from last year - a bit. Still needs work and apparently there is a plan to do that. Non meat eaters may struggle a bit including finding meat products where you least expect it :wink:

The truck from AB worked great and full insurance makes the checkin-out process simple.

It was a great week that went by toooo quickly!

Our first shore dive was to Bari reef. The current was ripping!! I was pretty tired to start and about 20-25 mins in I realized I was no longer making forward progress and called the dive. Less than 5 minutes back to the exit point! Two members of our group did an afternoon boat dive to Something Special and experienced the same thing. They blew through their air and had an even shorter dive. Luckily we did not experience that kind of current again that week.

This a fairly common occurrence anytime the west side of the island is experiencing northward current. What seems like mild current a bit farther south or north picks up speed as Klein Bonaire forces flow through the narrow bottleneck between it and the main island. The area between Something Special and Bari Reef is at the narrowest point.

Our experience has been that the likelihood of encountering this is greater in the afternoon, when winds are typically stronger. The lay of the boats on their mooring lines at Something Special will usually provide some visual indication when this is occurring, but sometimes it's not obvious until you're near the reef's drop-off. The great thing about Bonaire shore diving is you can throw your wet gear back in the truck, drive north or south a couple of miles, and still enjoy a great dive where this isn't happening.

bonair10.jpg

This a fairly common occurrence anytime the west side of the island is experiencing northward current. What seems like mild current a bit farther south or north picks up speed as Klein Bonaire forces flow through the narrow bottleneck between it and the main island. The area between Something Special and Bari Reef is at the narrowest point.

Our experience has been that the likelihood of encountering this is greater in the afternoon, when winds are typically stronger. The lay of the boats on their mooring lines at Something Special will usually provide some visual indication when this is occurring, but sometimes it's not obvious until you're near the reef's drop-off. The great thing about Bonaire shore diving is you can throw your wet gear back in the truck, drive north or south a couple of miles, and still enjoy a great dive where this isn't happening.

View attachment 460210
Yes indeed, you nailed that! Nice illustration.

Interesting positive comments about the plaza. The wifi would of been a big improvement from my last trip there. I enjoyed my stay there and always rent tanks from there, but I enjoy the freedom of eating out around the island rather than paying for the all inclusive 'food'.

Interesting positive comments about the plaza. The wifi would of been a big improvement from my last trip there. I enjoyed my stay there and always rent tanks from there, but I enjoy the freedom of eating out around the island rather than paying for the all inclusive 'food'.

Hagan told me that they are planning to offer a non AI option! We stay there because thats where our friends like to stay. If that group ever stops going to Bonaire I would have to think real hard if I want to continue staying there. I definitely like to eat in some of the fine restaurants in town. Also would like the option to do my own breakfast and some lunches. I do love Toucan though!

Glad the Plaza is improving. I like the house Reef and Toucan but not been impressed with the Plaza in the past. If they offer a non AI option, I might rethink it, at least a little, if the price is right.

Agreed. I actually liked the rooms very much. Cold floors, good AC, but terrible wifi. I just don't want the food included. I'd also be down for a non inclusive price. I've had good luck renting a condo just across the canal from there.

I have stayed there once and the rooms are indeed very nice and big compared to everywhere else. The shore dive is good with frequent frog fish sightings. It has a few downsides, no kitchens, huge property and getting tanks from the fill room to the truck is a PIA. Location is great, quick to town quick to the south.

I'm really ok with everything but the food. :)

I have stayed there once and the rooms are indeed very nice and big compared to everywhere else. The shore dive is good with frequent frog fish sightings. It has a few downsides, no kitchens, huge property and getting tanks from the fill room to the truck is a PIA. Location is great, quick to town quick to the south.
We just backed up right next to the tank room. It was a piece of cake to load tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom