Trip Report 8/2-8/9 w/ Lots of Pics!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great shots. The photos are excellent. The DOF you are getting with a FF camera on the macro shots is impressive. The kick butt AF of the 5DIII is definitely in evidence.

Thank you! The Canon 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro lens is amazing glass! It is quickly becoming my favorite lens above and below the water!

Really enjoyed your report and pictures. My daughter and I were in Bonaire March and just in July and we stayed at the Yacht Club. Right across the road from SS. We really loved that dive. When you say about the lionfish, we go to Curacao before the Bonaire trip and we got as many as 95 lionfish in 1 dive on Curacao. We were there for 9 days and I cleaned about 1200 lionfish. When we showed up on Bonaire, we were told that if we want to hunt lionfish, we have to take a coarse and then we can only hunt lionfish if we have a dive master with us. Now we have shot over 3,000 lionfish in Curacao and Aruba and I really feel that we know what we are doing and should be able to help take care of the population on Bonaire but I guess they want the lionfish to their own. Hope that changes and then we can help them out with the population of lionfish on Bonaire. Our trip to Bonaire in March, we seen 4 lionfish. Our trip to Bonaire in July, we seen about 120 lionfish. I think they are getting worse.

Lionfish breed and live down to 200+ ft (65+ m). So you are marginally going to control them in shallower, heavily dived sites. There are many many shallow areas along Bonaire (and every other island or reef) which don't have much diving taking place. They thus have free reign and are thoroughly infesting the whole Caribbean. Lionfish just have to shift over a little bit to replace losses to hunting in heavily dived/hunted sites.

Somehow Lionfish are controlled naturally in the Pacific. Maybe those controls can evolve in the Atlantic.

They do taste good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom